Moving from 5 Gallon to 10 Gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Spesh1969

AC Members
Jan 20, 2018
Texas
Real Name
Jen
A couple of months ago, I set up a 5 gallon with a few java fern and some java moss. Residents are a single male betta, 3 nerite snails and a handful of ghost shrimp.

I'm thinking of packing up the moving van and putting everyone into a 10 gallon. What is the best way to do this?

I can use my current filter media to help with the cycle transition. I will also be using the same plants/decorations. Substrate will be brand new.

Do I set up the new tank, put in all the plants/decorations and then let it run for 24 hours to get the water temps right and then put in the live inhabitants along with the old filter media? The substrate will be all new (and a different color) so I will not be using any of the existing beige sand substrate.

Also, I plan to buy a kit where everything comes with it (tank, HOB filter, etc.). Would it help to put one of those corner sponge filters in as well if I can pull it off?

What else can go into a 10 gallon with these guys. This betta seems pretty chill. He's never shown anything other than chill curiosity with I put the shrimp in.

Sorry for the ramble - thanks in advance for the assistance.

sapphire689

AC Members
Mar 17, 2018
you can play around with aqadvisor. I'd recommend rasbora, a group of 6. also, beware of the ghost shrimp multiplying. thankfully, you have a betta who can snack on the shrimplets.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
As far as the move goes, I'd put all the contents of your 5gal, including the filter media in a bucket or cooler of fresh dechlorinated water to maintain temps if it's a long trip. If it's a very long trip, can you run the filter off a battery powered air pump?

For the new 10gal, I'd run all your plants, decor, original filtration and a sock/media bag of the original gravel to maintain a nitrogen cycle in the new tank. Don't let the original gravel, decor or filter media dry out or get soaked with chlorinated water.

It's my understanding that ghost shrimp can only breed in salt/brackish water. Something like a group of 6-8 celestial pearl danios could be nice if your betta plays well.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Is this just a move from tank to tank, or a real move in housing?

Spesh1969

AC Members
Jan 20, 2018
Texas
Real Name
Jen
My “packing the moving van “ was a metaphor. This is a tank-to-tank move — not an actual residence move. :)

Spesh1969

AC Members
Jan 20, 2018
Texas
Real Name
Jen
Alternatively, I can keep the same set up, but I’d like to change the substrate. I have a beige sand in there now, but would prefer black.

Is there a way to do that?

Award Aquarium

AC Members
Mar 18, 2018
A couple of months ago, I set up a 5 gallon with a few java fern and some java moss. Residents are a single male betta, 3 nerite snails and a handful of ghost shrimp.

I'm thinking of packing up the moving van and putting everyone into a 10 gallon. What is the best way to do this?

I can use my current filter media to help with the cycle transition. I will also be using the same plants/decorations. Substrate will be brand new.

Do I set up the new tank, put in all the plants/decorations and then let it run for 24 hours to get the water temps right and then put in the live inhabitants along with the old filter media? The substrate will be all new (and a different color) so I will not be using any of the existing beige sand substrate.

Also, I plan to buy a kit where everything comes with it (tank, HOB filter, etc.). Would it help to put one of those corner sponge filters in as well if I can pull it off?

What else can go into a 10 gallon with these guys. This betta seems pretty chill. He's never shown anything other than chill curiosity with I put the shrimp in.

Sorry for the ramble - thanks in advance for the assistance.
Yeah the old filter media can be used to start-up the new tank. Also you can put the old substrate in a filter back and temporarily put it into the new tank. This will also help seed the new tank.

As far as time I would move the fish right away. Just use the 5 gallons of water from the existing tank to reduce shock.

Just feed sparingly, until you confirm the old cycle took to the new tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If you have been doing regular Was on the 5 gallon, no need to use any of it's water.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Shouldn't be any chemical swings if tank is at tap..... ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store