Multis and tank mates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tomtomtom1230

AC Members
Jan 7, 2016
Hey folks, long time forum-lurker but first time poster here :)

I have got a 120 litre, fully cycled tank. I've set it up with about 5cm of coarse sand and a shed load of shells!

A friend of mine has been breeding Multi's (N. Multifasciatus) for a while now and he's getting overrun. I've taken 5 fry off his hands. Each of which has been somewhat adventurous and feeding independently. Of course, it's so tough to sex them; he thinks they were all the same 'batch' though and I've tried to pick one larger than most that could probably end up being a male and about 4 much smaller ones which I hope will turn out to be females. I hope I've done the right thing.

They are settling into the tank nicely and have been fed some frozen daphnia this evening and are extremely inquisitive, shuffling sand around the tank already making it their own.

In any case I can't help but think about the future of my tank as these 5 grow up and start (hopefully) spawning fry of their own.

Are there any common tank mates I can introduce at some stage? I understand that these fish will need to be adult before I can consider this so I shan't be rushing ahead. I just like to get on top of any and all homework I might need to do :)

Any advice will be welcome.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Can you post the dimensions of the aquarium for the best advice on tank mates?

tomtomtom1230

AC Members
Jan 7, 2016
86.5 x 61 x 47cm or 2"10'x2"x1"6'.

120ish litres total but including displacement, i reckon about 100-110 litres.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Thanks!! Those dimensions are length x width x height, correct?

The length of the tank at approx. 34", may allow you to stock 6 of the smaller species of Cyprichromis which are a top dwelling fish, though 48" long is the usual recommendation.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I have mine in a 15gal and have a trio of endlers in there as dither fish. I know the male is unable to breed so it works. He still chases the females and gets run off by the Multis.

tomtomtom1230

AC Members
Jan 7, 2016
Yes, Dudely, that's correct. I googled the dimensions because the front is slightly bowed.

Thanks for your replies.

I'm intrigued by the suggestion of Cyprichromis. Any particular species that you had in mind?

I have quite a lot of room above the shells i would like to fill. I'm not sure that live plants are the way forward because of Interpet's proprietry lighting system i cannot fit grow-lights. Any brand of artificial plants that stick out as paeticularly good quality? In any case I'm at no love loss about live plants. Perhaps I could find some river pebbles or something and build up a small structure, repositioning the shells around the pebbles in a way that it won't matter if the multis stsrt digging the sand out around them x)

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Cyprichromis leptosoma (Utinta) and Paracyprichromis nigripinnnis are about 4.5" long at maturity. Just stay away from the jumbo Cyprichromis species.

Multies will move sand continuously, day in and day out so having the least amount of sand really works the best.

You can also check out shelldwellers.com as the site is specifically geared toward shell-dwelling cichlids.

tomtomtom1230

AC Members
Jan 7, 2016
Cyprichromis leptosoma (Utinta) and Paracyprichromis nigripinnnis are about 4.5" long at maturity. Just stay away from the jumbo Cyprichromis species.

Multies will move sand continuously, day in and day out so having the least amount of sand really works the best.

You can also check out shelldwellers.com as the site is specifically geared toward shell-dwelling cichlids.
Thanks again for the reply. I will look into Utina Cyps when my Multi's mature a little more :) I assume Cyps males harem with females?

As far as bottom feeding and clean-up crews go, I presume Nerite snails are the only creature I can safely add and be content that the Multi colony aren't going to tear them a new one? :)

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Nerites are algae eating snails so I don't know how well they would do for clean up. Malaysian trumpet snails could work but can get easily out of control if you over feed.

tomtomtom1230

AC Members
Jan 7, 2016
Nerites are algae eating snails so I don't know how well they would do for clean up. Malaysian trumpet snails could work but can get easily out of control if you over feed.
I forsee a lot of algal build-up on the shells :) I don't want to disturb the Multis too much!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store