Music from my generation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
And now for something completely different.

Most here are childeren of the digital age. Their music is streamed, so is their video. Most people no longer even own turntables or stereos or even boom boxes. So most folks have no clue what where was in this vein 100 or more years ago. Sure they had live music, but nothing was elcectric. there were no amplifiers, juke boxes or other such things. So you would think the home and bars or restaurants were limited in their musical options. Well you would be wrong.

How about the Old Classic "Sweet Georgie Brown"?

" This orchestrion was made in 1912 and belonged to the Dave Ramey collection. Instrumentation includes a piano with mandolin attachment, two ranks of pipes (38 each, flute and violin), snare drum, bass drum, triangle, and 14-note orchestra bell unit. Equipped with six-roll automatic changer. Plays five-tune Automatic Player Piano (APP) music rolls. Please visit dcramey.com for more information on instruments such as this. "

Or how about The 1899 classic, Maple Leaf Rag?

"As the Reblitz Restorations Crew readies a freshly restored Seeburg H for delivery to the collection of Johnny and Tish Duckworth, it performs Maple Leaf Rag. The arrangement, using a drawing board technique, is from 1982 by Art Reblitz. This is the largest and most ornate American built Orchestrion. "

Of course these machines are very old, have been restored lovingly and would likely sell for insane money. So you may be happy to learn you can own the modern reproduction of one of these machines. it is built using the same plans as the originals from, the early 1900s. Here is the Banjo Orchestra playing Foggy Mountain Breakdown.

You can purchase one of these from the D.C. Ramey Piano Company for the low low starting price of only $78,000. This does include 4 ten tune music rolls. Additional rolls are available for $350 each.

Consider that those paper rolls were one of the earliest forms of "software". They control every note you hear.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Folks know my like of the science and this is theoretically a thread on music from my generation. Well it's from 1967.

Spring is just around the corner......

And there always needs to a finale

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Big Storm, lots of flakes, windy. So from one of my fav bands, I offer:

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Now you're in for a treat, this gal really knows how to blow

SID 1 year ago
Gunhild, what is your range on that Trombone? You are amazing, I've been playing brass for 35 years and I have NEVER heard anyone play as well as you.

Louis just rolled over in his grave and sat up.

The queen meets the king and he can't sit still.

If she can blow it, she can play it.

You think I was kidding about if she can blow it?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Radar Love is good, lol. Golden Earring was one of those bands in that time frame that included Zeppelin and The Who that were just before my "coming of age" as concerned music so to speak. They weren't old enough that they were considered oldies and they were still new enough they were getting a quite a bit of play time so I was always a fan.

My first album was the soundtrack to "American Gigolo", and the song I wanted was...

And from there...

and...

It only gets better from here. This is what the cool kids listen to. :cool:

WYite

Reactions: dudley
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Debbie Harry was a hottie. I know all of the bands above save for Ratt. I am not big on heavy metal.

I was never a big AC/DC fan for the most part. They did a song which I never quite got- Dirty Deed and the Dunder Chief. I never understood who was the dunder chief. Then after about 30 years I finally figured out the real lyric........

This is more my speed

And when I need something that really cooks then turn this one up as loud as you can

or maybe this?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
When you listen to this, pay attention to the story. The music is excellent and so is the lyric.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Reactions: Wyomingite
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store