My 120 Gallon Mixed Reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NapoliNewJersey

-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=
Mar 14, 2007
web.mac.com
I have a 120 mixed reef 48x24x24 and here's my list:

Equipment:
AquaController Jr.
AutoTopoff.com's Double valve auto topoff
2x250watt Metal Halides (10K right now going to 14Kreeflux soon)
4x54watt T5 actinic suplements
55 Gallon Sump
Coralife Super Skimmer 220
20 Gallon Refugium
Mag 24 Return Pump
2 Maxijet 1200 (2 Korallia 4's in the mail)
2 500 watt titanium heaters

Substrate:
80lbs Live Sand
160lbs Live Rock

Fish:
-Achilles Tang 5"
-Hippo Tang 3"
-Desarjini Tang 3"
-False Percula (2) 1.5" and 2"
-Neon Goby (2) 1" and 1.5"
-Diamond Goby 4"
-Watanabe Angelfish 4.5"
-Chromis (3) All 2"
-Helfrichi Firefish 2.5"
-Bicolor Blenny (havn't seen in a couple days)

Inverts:
-RedBulbTip Anemone
-Crocea Clams (2)
-Red Fromia Star
-Serpent Stars (3)
-Hermits (red, blue leg)
-Snails (cerith, astrea, nassarius)
-Emerald crabs (6)

Assorted SPS:
-Blue Tort
-Tubs Blue Polyp birds nest
-Nathans Green Milli
-Bali Green Slimmer
-DFS Aquatip Acro
-Orange Digitata
-Black Echinopora
-Red Cap Monti
-Green Cap Monti

Assorted LPS:
-Blue Lobo (unknown)
-Red Open Brain
-Torch Coral
-Frogspawn
-Micromussa
-Blastomussa Wellsi
-Aussie Plate Coral
-Aussie Duncan (11 heads)
-Green Trumpet Coral

Assorted Zoas:
-Purple Death
-Red People Eaters
-Eagle Eyes
-Candy Apple Greens
-Strawberry Burst
-Cream Splash
-Bullseyes
-Purple Panther Eyes (my own morph)
-Pink Panthers (my own morph)
-A bunch of unknowns

Assorted mush:
-Blue Striped
-Red Mush

Assorted Softies:
-Yellow Fiji Leather
-Pulsing Xenia
-Green Star Polyps (are these considered soft??)lol

Here's a picture:

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Amazing rock work! How did you accomplish it? Did you buy several different pieces over time? Did it start off as all live rock?

NapoliNewJersey

-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=
Mar 14, 2007
web.mac.com
Amazing rock work! How did you accomplish it? Did you buy several different pieces over time? Did it start off as all live rock?

Haha... I had 70lbs in my 55gallon, I got 40lbs off our very own Subliminal in NJ, I got another 50lbs from another NJRC member. I got most of the rock for $2.50 a lb.

I did the left side first. It took about 2 hours .. the right side was all the leftover pieces just tossed in. It took 15 minutes.
After I laid the base rock down I poured my livesand in from my 55 gallon and added a little more ontop of that. Then I built up from there, making sure there are alot of swimming holes and bridges for the fish. They love it.

The funny thing is, I'm constantly changing the right side to fit new corals.

I'll get new pictures up soon. I took a hiatus from Aquaria Central because I was busy with this build. But now that it's up and running I can come back to post.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Looking good, Mike! You really stuffed some stuff in there, although it looks like a good portion are babies on the frag rack...

As an aside, sitting in the terminal at O'Hair, waiting for the storm to subside a bit really sucks...but at least I found some internet. :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Very sharp!

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Very cool looking.. I like how your blue lights set everything off really well..

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Haha... I had 70lbs in my 55gallon, I got 40lbs off our very own Subliminal in NJ, I got another 50lbs from another NJRC member. I got most of the rock for $2.50 a lb.

I did the left side first. It took about 2 hours .. the right side was all the leftover pieces just tossed in. It took 15 minutes.
After I laid the base rock down I poured my livesand in from my 55 gallon and added a little more ontop of that. Then I built up from there, making sure there are alot of swimming holes and bridges for the fish. They love it.

The funny thing is, I'm constantly changing the right side to fit new corals.

I'll get new pictures up soon. I took a hiatus from Aquaria Central because I was busy with this build. But now that it's up and running I can come back to post.
Sounds like you took your time and it paid off. I really want to start filling my tank now, but I promised myself I wouldn't until I get some nice rock pieces. I have a couple of free dead coral rock pieces my friend is giving me so hopefully that turns out well.

I can't wait to see the new pictures. Maybe they will come before I start my live rock arrangement so I can steal ideas ^^

I like the bridges idea. Did you use any glue/tricks to keep the rocks together or is that just careful stacking?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store