My 120 Gallon Mixed Reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aphoucks

AC Members
Nov 15, 2006
California
That looks great, How is the frag rack built?

NapoliNewJersey

-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=
Mar 14, 2007
web.mac.com
Mac/Apple is the only way to design... Bill Gates vs Steven Jobs ... Jobs wins ... Fatality!!

Thanks guys.

The frag rack is something I picked up along the way .. it's a 4x8 piece of eggcrate (found in the lighting dept at home depot or lowes.) glued to a magnet (you can use a megafloat magnet or in my case a magnet from a broken tunze nanostream).

I took it out because I'm building an acrylic 24x24x12 frag tank. I've realized that it's actually kinda big (24x24) but I did that because a MH produces enough lite for exactly 24x24 ... I may sell it and build an 18x18x10 ... Of coarse it will be on the site when I get around to building.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Mac/Apple is the only way to design... Bill Gates vs Steven Jobs ... Jobs wins ... Fatality!!

Thanks guys.

The frag rack is something I picked up along the way .. it's a 4x8 piece of eggcrate (found in the lighting dept at home depot or lowes.) glued to a magnet (you can use a megafloat magnet or in my case a magnet from a broken tunze nanostream).

I took it out because I'm building an acrylic 24x24x12 frag tank. I've realized that it's actually kinda big (24x24) but I did that because a MH produces enough lite for exactly 24x24 ... I may sell it and build an 18x18x10 ... Of coarse it will be on the site when I get around to building.
Wow, thats such a creative idea! Did someone suggest doing that (glueing the rack to a mag)? I might do something similiar in my 125G so I can grow out frags for my tank.

NapoliNewJersey

-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=
Mar 14, 2007
web.mac.com
Wow, thats such a creative idea! Did someone suggest doing that (glueing the rack to a mag)? I might do something similiar in my 125G so I can grow out frags for my tank.

I saw it at a fellow reefers house .. pnoyreefer from NJRC, Club-Zoa, Reefcentral .. and a bunch of other sites he's on.

What's great about it is you can acclimate your corals to your lighting by keeping them at the bottom and moving them up about 3inches every 2-3 days. until they are where you want to plant them in your tank.

It's a great idea but I can't take credit for it.

Here's a pic of someone from Club-Zoa's frag rack.

NapoliNewJersey

-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=
Mar 14, 2007
web.mac.com
very nice tank. makes me want to rip all my LR out and start over... on second thought... maybe next year :)

I know how you feel. When I see some of the larger tanks from the people in the New Jersey Reef Club, it makes me want to do the same.

I started with a 55gallon less than a year ago and 6 months later I put together this 120 in about 2 months.

Now I'm already planning to do a custom tank 300+ gallons for next year.... I got addicted fast.

NapoliNewJersey

-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=-l-=o=
Mar 14, 2007
web.mac.com
Just got all new bulbs yesterday for my tank and it looks amazing .. I can't wait to take new pictures ...

My camera is at the local LFS cause I let them use it from time to time to take pics for thier website. As soon as I get it back i'll post some new pics.

The lights I got are 2 ATI BluePlus 54w, 1 ATI AquaBlue 54w(should be 2 but one broke during shipping) 1 Current Actinic 460 54w, 2 250w HQI 12K reeflux Metal Halides.

My corals look completely different. So much more colorful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store