my 125 gallon planted tank journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
thanks for the compliments everyone.
your tank looks more beautiful every time you update us.. also in the 4th pic down it looks like your fish is licking the glass
he actually does lock lips with the glass... he eats algae off of it, and tries to eat the hairs on my arms. i plan to post a video of me handfeeding him one of these days.
looking good jay
Whats that stick on the right?
thanks bk! thats my lab thermometer... always making sure the temperature is where it should be, it is a cold basement.

cerhob

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Wow, just wow.

I hope to have a tank one day that looks half as nice as yours. Great job. Amazing job even.

Booyaababe

Toni
Dec 13, 2008
Camden, Tn.
wow...this is a long thread..how long have you been doing this live planting..how long has it taken for your plants to fill in so much is what i mean..i definantly want some java moss and vals..where are those classifieds..tehee

addicted2fish

" Can you come out to play ? "
Mar 19, 2008
oh..and what are the burgandy plants in the front left of the tank..i love reds and burgandys ...

I belive the plants you are refering to are crypt wendi's . i maybe wrong , they are def cyrpts.

Philipjfry

Will you be moved in with by me?
Feb 9, 2009
PA
www.spencermorse.com
fishking, i use 2 eheim pro 2 canister filters and a whisper 60 power filter. i have filtration capcity for a tank double the size of mine and i still do 50% water changes once a week. i am using 2 300watt submersible heaters, each on opposite sides of the tank near the canister filter intakes. any other questions just let me know.
I've got one! Or a few maybe lol. Do you use activated carbon in any of your filters??? I mean, if you're doing 50% water changes on a weekly basis then I don't really see the need for the carbon (but DEFINITELY a need for bio balls/bag/wheel whatever). Your tank setup truly is what everybody else says: A terrific source of inspiration! :-D

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
I've got one! Or a few maybe lol. Do you use activated carbon in any of your filters??? I mean, if you're doing 50% water changes on a weekly basis then I don't really see the need for the carbon (but DEFINITELY a need for bio balls/bag/wheel whatever). Your tank setup truly is what everybody else says: A terrific source of inspiration! :-D
fry you've got no nose! where it is i dont know, but on your face it is not! lol i love futurama! i dont use any carbon. im told that carbon will take up nutrients that the plants like but i still vacuum the gravel which is supposed to be bad for plants as well. i have reduced my water changes to 50% a month now that im so busy and the tank is established. i have a lot of bio media in my eheims though. thanks for the compliment i do aim to inspire.
the tank has been running for a little over a year. i first attempted a planted tank about 5 years ago but due to my silver dollars i only had a few plants, as seen on my 75 gallon journal. this tank was my first low tech planted aquarium project and i couldnt be more thrilled. the plants on the left is a mixture of red, bronze, and green crypt wendtii. you can just see how little they grow over the months (but i like it, less pruning and maintenance). i have several other types of crypts which have taken a while to adjust to my tank (they are known to shock easily) and are now reproducing like crazy. my next post will be a video of me handfeeding my prochilodus. i taught him a few tricks to do it too. the tank looks pretty much the same except for a few minor readjustments. thank you all for your compliments. it inspires me to continue working on improving the tank. i also have a group of tenellus rainbowfish which will be going into the tank once i get them breeding.

Bnoble

Advanced User
Jan 31, 2008
USA,VA
better and better as the years go bye! looks great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store