My 185gal build in progress (lots of pics)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
If that's your only set back with this whole project I'd say you've done well.

Q

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
Thats pretty cool. What is it going to be? FISHES?or corals, or both, or neither, just a big tank to teach your gf's son to swim in?
LMAO..... or for sen-dep treatment when hes bad
(that was mean i know... im j/k)

FG.... FiberGlass?

im lost, and wanna know more about the BG

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
LMAO..... or for sen-dep treatment when hes bad
(that was mean i know... im j/k)

FG.... FiberGlass?

im lost, and wanna know more about the BG
Yeah, FG=Fiberglass. I'll likely be bored at work at some point today and I'll post some more info about it ;) I think it's going to be pretty cool! (If it works). I hope it doesnt' snowball out of control... the last fiberglass project I worked on became a 2 month endeavor... but I think I have a decent plan to keep this simple!

Fish Obsession

AC Members
Feb 2, 2007
That looks awesome. Good work :)

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
Yeah, FG=Fiberglass. I'll likely be bored at work at some point today and I'll post some more info about it ;) I think it's going to be pretty cool! (If it works). I hope it doesnt' snowball out of control... the last fiberglass project I worked on became a 2 month endeavor... but I think I have a decent plan to keep this simple!
I'm sure it will look great. The DIY ideas are what really makes a nice tank. Have any good web sites that teaches you how to work with fiberglass?

Two months wouldn't really be that long; most plywood tanks aren't complete that quick. You have done alot in less than a month. Keep up the good work.

I'm sure you already know, but don't rush the cure process when you get the glass. Wait a atleast two days, I would wait longer, before filling with water. Properly cured silicon is extremely stronger than rushed silicon.

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
Have any good web sites that teaches you how to work with fiberglass?.
I learned everything I needed from www.fiberglassforums.com - mostly car audio fabrication, but the basics are all there. It's not a difficult thing to do, it's just not necessarily intuitive, and requires some trial and error, or else some careful following of advice for the first project! my username over there is just "Cam"

I'm sure you already know, but don't rush the cure process when you get the glass. Wait a atleast two days, I would wait longer, before filling with water. Properly cured silicon is extremely stronger than rushed silicon.
yeah I will probably wait at least 3-4 days. the bead will be very thick, and even though my test fill will be outside, I reaaaallly don't want 200 gallons of water on my shop floor.

boomerjr91

I see you!
Apr 8, 2007
Horseheads, NY
sounds amazing. awesome work. i've been thinking of doing DIY background myself. you and darksoul have now given me some ideas.

cvermeulen

Sucking up knowledge
May 18, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Real Name
Cam
Hopefully I'll be able to get back to this soon... I want to get the glass in this weekend if it's humanly possible, so I have some serious prep to do before then. My pumps came in, and I tested them out in the sump bin. they appear to work well, despite being what appears to be a chinese knockoff pump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store