My 300 gallon lobster tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aesopsfables

AC Members
May 4, 2007
Mid New York State
the wife.

Thankfully, my wife is very supportive of my pet hobbies, she just wishes my priorities were a little more home improvement driven. We go in cycles, I had to finish our new closets and paint the bedroom before I was allowed to set up the big tank.

One more picture of the wife, what can I say, I think she's adorable and love to show her off, sorry for the lack of aquaria topic in this note....:dance:

DSC00421.JPG

galen

AC Members
Jan 26, 2007
NY
lol, that tank isnt overstocked! i like it. it reminds me of sunken forest. really unique. nice pic of the lake too. is that on the finger lakes or one of the great lakes?

clayt101

Registered Abuser

aesopsfables

AC Members
May 4, 2007
Mid New York State
cypress problems

The tank looks great, but those cypress knees look awfully fresh. I'd be careful with them. See this thread:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92363
Interesting that you should mention this, the cypress was cleaned and stripped before I got it and I soaked it when it was delivered. My three big plecos are fine, acting great, even attaching to the wood and seeming to enjoy it, but....

After two weeks with this setup, I got ICK so bad. No PH problems or ammonia levels off either. The only fish not affected were my big Jack and the plecos. I have been treating for four days now, lost my two clown loaches and two bala sharks, the oldest fish in my tanks besides my jack dempsey. Everyone else seems to be fine and getting over it now, but it was the worst ick i have ever seen.....

I can't say I'M QUITE SURE OF WHERE IT CAME FROM. My last addition was two baby parrot cichlids, but they came from a very reliable store, so it makes me wonder if the wood has something to do with it. I know stress is a major factor, and im sure getting put in a tank with turtles must be stressful on the fish, but I had my 65 set up for two years and overstocked with no ph, ammonia or any other problems and never got a disease.

I'm going to keep it going, unless I am sure it is the wood. If it happens again, I'll definitely do something about it, but I just heavily doubt that it could be the wood. I have always had some cypress in my tanks and know that plecos even need a bit of wood in their diet and really like the cypress. So for now it's watch and maintain. I think I could have caught the infection a few days earlier, which would have made a big difference. My fish were acting weird, running through my bubble streams as if they were itchy. It could just be a normal infection from normal circumstances and that is what I'm hoping for right now.

Thanks for all the concern and info, always appreciate a helping hand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store