My 3665 Gallon Lined Plywood Tank Build Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
sounds amazing. i'll be keeping an eye on this thread as well...now to convince my husband this would be a good way to use up some of the unused space in my basement......... :)

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
xsdbs, it's 12'x8'x5'. I could do a divider, but I have no interest in doing so. I'm also not interested in doing saltwater. Freshwater fish have much more interesting personalities. It's hardly miniature either. The festae male is 16" already. :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------
nolapete,
I hope that my reply did not sound insulting, in was just in fun. I know this is a BIG tank and there could be a divider, however as mentioned the statements were only in humor ( though perhaps dry :) humor ).

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Matt, I plan to have some sort of algae scrubber to remove nitrates. I'll probably run a line outside and use a natural sunlight one. Still considering that thought. Plants will be out of the question because of my stocking choices (constant digging) and I can't afford to provide enough light, ferts, CO2 for a tank that big.
I'm sorry I guess you didn't understand what I was talking about. :) What I meant was to have like a freshwater refugium. Maybe setup a 55gal. as a low light planted tank with some Anacharis in it. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=768+780&pcatid=780
I think this plant would use up your nitrates pretty good. Just keep about 2 watt/gal on your 55gal. and you should be pretty set. You could make your own gravel that had some nutrients in it for the plants.
Plum this planted tank into your BIG tank and you should be good to go.

--Matt

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Oh, I see what you're talking about. That's an interesting idea. I wonder what the ratio is on refugium size to tank size for freshwater. If it's 10%, it would be out of the question because of space constraints.

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Oh, I see what you're talking about. That's an interesting idea. I wonder what the ratio is on refugium size to tank size for freshwater. If it's 10%, it would be out of the question because of space constraints.
Now were on the same track! I'm not sure the ratio either. But whatever you can afford or setup, should help a little. Corse it all depends on what in Economics called is the Oppotunity Cost. Should you spend a day and money fixing up this refuge it if not really going to help, or spend that day and money building your large tank. Basically you have to decide because I do not know all your full details on your build project.

It is a interesting idea and if you can get it setup good then it might just help. Give it a thought and decide what you want to do. I have heard of people buying cheap Flor. fixtures from Home Depot and then just buying the right bulbs. If you already have the tank(s) for the refuge the you shouldn't have to spend too much money. Anyways Thanks for listening!

--Matt

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
I had a quick idea...if you could get your FW Refuge tank the same level as the large tank and you just had some PVC plumming connecting the two tanks, then you would just need a powerhead pushing water from the Refuge into the big tank and then water should just naturally flow from a high pressure point to a low pressure point (IE. back into the refuge to keep it the same water level.)

If you did that and your powerhead fails, then you won't have to worry about the tank overflowing as long as it is a level with the large tank water.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH: I just figured out how to fold the liner behind itself to make it to where there are no folds visible from inside the tank. This means no seaming necessary eliminating possible liner leaking! I'm going to try to draw up the fold diagram on Google Sketchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store