My angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Hello, I think this thread could be revived, it's been a while. Only two angels with me now, it seems I have a female koi and a beautiful half-black angel that I have kept for a few months.
20230913_155512~3.jpg
IMG-20230718-WA0039~2.jpg

Reactions: jake72

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Always very risky to add a third to a group though it does depend on the sex of the third and the sex of the other two. You said that the top one is female - and that one is certainly quite lovely; i didn't see a sex for the 2nd. Also to be honest that fish at the lfs has some indication of being a runt mostly in that the eyes are too large and the nose is marginally deformed but perhaps it is the angle of the photo that is distorting things. My primary experience with runt is relatively short life compared to normal life span of such a fish.

Reactions: Lalo J.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I see what Jake means with the big eye, I'd think stunted too. I also notice it has puffy lips. I forget what that can mean besides maybe lip lock fighting but something to be careful about.

I also agree with jake on adding a 3rd angel. It might end very badly for 1...unless your almost positive you have 2 females...& even then it can be very risky. We we're given 2 female angels & they both laid eggs & ate them. We added a young hopeful male & he flirted & wiggled but they were set in their ways. They didn't really attack him as much as gently shove him out of the egg laying area. No breeding or egg snacks for him ever!

Reactions: Lalo J.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Hello, thanks for the observations, I also noticed in the photograph what appear to be some red marks at the base of the dorsal fin angelfish, and to some extent it appears to be a little 'reddened', I had not noticed the points that you mention Jake, so thanks again. I have an updated photo of my half-black angel that I took a couple of hours ago, she may be heading to be a female but it seems too early IMO, she must only be a couple of inches from tail to mouth, and 2 1/2" tall from tip to tip. This guy grow very fast in the last 3/4 weeks maybe. My koi I would bet is a female.
20231031_200306~2.jpg

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
One of my loaches decided it was time to get aggressive with my angels and last night I found them in bad condition, with missing scales and red lines on the dorsal fin, I took them out of the tank and put them in a hospital tank with furan2, however today I came home from work and saw that I had lost my halfblack angel, it's terrible because I had him for several months and he had been growing very well in recent weeks, the black scales near the tail seem to have faded and he even looks like a silver angelfish.
IMG_20231106_161645.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm so sorry Lalo. After death color can change. It's smaller than I thought. Its eye looks pretty large for it's body size. Could be a sign of stunting...

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I had yoyos with angels. The yoyos began harassing the angels, so the loaches went.

I saw no tubes down on your angels in the pics, so there is probably no current spawning happening? One way to know a pair of angels is interested in spawning is that they first tend to clean the surface where they intend to spawn. So if you watch for that behavior you can get a heads up that "love is in the air, oops water."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store