Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

My aquarist rant

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by wesleydnunder, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Windy

Windy AC Members

Lazaro
    Oct 16, 2017
    Lazaro

Mrs. Golightl Her last name was Golightly. That name inspires funny thoughts.

2. Windy

Windy AC Members

Lazaro
    Oct 16, 2017
    Lazaro

As I sat there appreciating my new best friend, my little sister walked into my room, dragging her latest doll behind her by one leg. "It's just a stupid fish," she declared after a few moments, "and besides, I heard Mommy tell Daddy that you killed the other one cuz you didn't put the klormamater in the water". With that she turned and flounced out.

LOLOLOL, your little sister reminds me of Angelica from The Rug Rats cartoon.

3. Windy

Windy AC Members

Lazaro
    Oct 16, 2017
    Lazaro

I'd become an expert at syphoning and usually managed not to swallow too much water.
    Ewwww LOLOLOL

4. Angelia664

Angelia664 Registered Member

Oct 18, 2015
    What a great read. Thank you!

5. sumthin fishy

sumthin fishy I eat spam

mike
    Jan 25, 2017
    mike
    On the hi/lo tech thing. My friends dad worked for microsoft, had a SW setup back in the 80's. It was state of the art, pretty sure it was DOS based. I mean, it had the motorized t5Ho bank of 8 lights perpendicular to the front of the tank that staged and moved parallel across the tank to simulate the sun. Sensors that monitored all kinds of levels and adjusted things to make it perfect. And he controlled it all from his computer in another room. Talking to him the other day, he said he still had it in storage and would love to give it to me. For a planted FW at least I could use the CO2, O2, PH, and temp sensors. Not sure what else it will do but it would be cool to set up.

6. Lady JinglyJones

Lady JinglyJones AC Members

Emily
    Mar 14, 2016
    Emily
    Camera Used:
    Ma Galaxy S4.
    Man, it's taken me, like, four days to finish reading this thread... but worth it! Learned lots.

Also, I've made up a spread sheet to see if the water change calculator predicts accurately the course of my nitrate tests' readings for the next month. They (the readings for nitrates) got mad-crazy high, and I'm using a mix of daily (though I'll miss some days) 10% and weekly 20% water changes to graaaaaadually lower TDS & not upset my critters. It'll be fun for me to track results. :D

Thanks for all the great info & story!

Emily

Jade.Crusader likes this.
  7. Tifftastic

Tifftastic "With your powers combined . . ."

Tiff
    Yesterday at 9:58 AM
    Tiff
    I'd acactually be interested to see a post on this. Interested to know how it drops as you go, starting parameters and tank specs and stuff.

8. Lady JinglyJones

Lady JinglyJones AC Members

Emily
    Mar 14, 2016
    Emily
    Camera Used:
    Ma Galaxy S4.
    Really? Cool, then I'll make it happen! Stay tuned for a post on the Great Nitrate Saga. I mean, not right away, but soon-ish, like.

Emily

9. Wisegy84

Wisegy84 Brunettes not fighter jets!

Don
    Apr 1, 2016
    Don
    Just finished reading through the whole thread and it is awesome. Would love to see more.

Maybe I'll add some more myself once I get back in front of a computer instead of being on a mobile device.

10. Jade.Crusader

Jade.Crusader AC Members

Green Shiva
    Jul 12, 2016
    Green Shiva
    This post really needs to be pinned. Your story was amazing! I laughed; I cried. No exaggeration. And to top it off: I learned things! I just rebooted our 20 gallon after it failed before we moved and it was subsequently set in a relative's house for a year for them to take care of while we transitioned. And by failed, I mean that I did all the wrong things and there was moss and yellow water and snails, snails, and snails, oh my! It was a mess. And fish kept dying over and over. Yet somehow, miraculously, the remaining inhabitants still lived for a whole year with the relatives who did absolutely nothing but feed them every day in that same ruined water. Survivors, these guys! Finally we get our tank back and it took some money and serious work but everyone is happy and in shiny new digs :) . I'm telling you this because I believe reading this thread has saved me from making the same mistakes I made before. I had "ah ha!" moments over and over again and I am super grateful for that :). I have plans to set up a 125, 55, and a 10 (for QT), and it would have all been a failed mess if it weren't for reading this.

Lady JinglyJones and Zardra77 like this.