my betta only eats blood worms??? is that cool?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tap

makin it rain since 93'
Feb 22, 2009
Topcity, Kansas
so my betta fish only eats blood worms....thats it....he wont eat anything else so thats all i feed him an he seems good just wondering if its not healthy or anything???? sometimes ill give him mosquito larva too from puddles and what not outside and he loves them.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
should be fine, blood worms are very nutritious... though it would be a bit better if he got some beta flake in his diet as well because there are most likely a few things in there that he doesnt get from the worms

but.. he should be fine if thats all he will eat

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
I don't think that a bloodworm-only diet is healthy for your betta long term. As I understand it, this can cause a betta to become bloated/constipated. Try feeding him a smooshed de-shelled pea every now and then to keep everything moving along. ;)

I've found that New Life Spectrum seems to be very palatable for fish... the small fish formula would work great for a betta if you can get him to eat it.

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
i read somewhere that long term use of worms will cause parasite , maybe i m wrong , but i would n t just stick with one diet for my betta , he ll eat when he become hungry , try to feed him something else for few days , he ll eat ...

tap

makin it rain since 93'
Feb 22, 2009
Topcity, Kansas
alright thanks guys cus i was thinkin it probably wasnt to great for him lol i'll switch it up an yea he is fatty so he'll eventually eat

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Parasites are not an issue with frozen bloodworms. The issue here is the constant usage of bloodworms. Bloodworms are very high in protein content and protein is not easily digested even by predatory fish so be very careful when planning out their diet. If possible, feed them with bloodworms only twice a week and let them get accustomed to other foods, not just bloodworms. I see bloodworms mainly as treats rather than staple. Too much proteins can indeed lead to bloat which severum mama correctly pointed out.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i agree with Lupin, any fish needs a varied diet, just like us human beans, lol. what your betta has done is trained you to only feed him bloodworms, cause thats what he knows he likes. mine would give me the betta equivalent of the puppy dog face when i put 'boring' food in their tanks all the time, lol.

i'd fast the fish for a couple of days if he's overly plump, it won't hurt him any. on the day after fasting, offer some different food, such as flake or betta pellet. just give a little to see if he'll eat it, that way the water won't be fouled by leftover food.

as for the smooshed pea, i've never fed my bettas peas, so i can't comment on that remedy. none of my bettas ever got fat or constipated.

sounds like this lil guy has been eating a tad too heartily. bettas don't need to eat a whole lot. a small pinch of flake, 4 or 5 pellets, or about that same amount of bloodworms, is all he really needs per meal. and a once a day feeding is enough for bettas, since they can be little gluttons. many fishkeepers will fast their fish for one day a week. i don't personally do this, but it could be beneficial in this instance.

one other thing that is a little concerning is your feeding of mosquito larvae that you find outside. i wouldn't do this unless you can be 100% assured that these larvae are free of pesticides and other contaminants, which is difficult to determine in an urban area. i'd stop feeding the larvae that you are catching outside.

another thing i thought of is this betta's living quarters. 2.5 gallons is rather small. if you can upgrade him to a 10 gallon he'd have more room to swim around and that would probably also solve the chubbyness issue. when i moved mine from bowls to 10 gallon tanks, they were much more active.

Last edited:

tap

makin it rain since 93'
Feb 22, 2009
Topcity, Kansas
yeaaaa i agree with you on the 2.5 is to small part, actually right now he's enjoying a 55 gallon all to himself haha i had some other fish in it but i sold them so i decided he'd love to be in their for a while before i sell the tank......i have a 10 gallon ready for him to once the tank is sold, but cool ima start makin my betta healthy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store