My dad has a small problem with his tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BanalityBob

AC Members
Oct 28, 2010
Part of me wants to say obvious troll is obvious. The other part of me thinks the white eggs may be getting moldy, so you should siphon them out in the water changes you should be doing.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
I used to do weekly water changes to my old 30g and i lost fish many times. :[ My dad hardly does that since his tank is heavily planted and the plants take in the waste from the fish, my dad told me. His tank is always very clear and his tests are low... but he never shows me.. My tank is now clear and I gave away most of the swordtail fry, I have 5 female swordtails left out of the 20 I had. I have 3 full grown males, I want the keep the 5 females so the males don't feel lonly.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
There are plenty of ways to lose fish, even with water changes. But you're much more likely to lose fish due to a lack of them.

Like your dad said, heavily planted tanks don't require them as often, but they are still required. There is no system known to man that completely alleviates the need to perform water changes.

Clear water doesn't mean healthy water. You can use a UV sterilizer, chemicals, filtration, etc. to make your water clear, but it can still be full of disease or parasites, just as it can contain dangerously high levels of toxins in the water.

There's a difference between "tests are low", "levels are ok", "levels are safe", and the only truly safe readings; ZERO ammonia, and ZERO nitrite. "Low" readings potentially mean more than zero, and if there's any more than zero, it's dangerous to your fish.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
I hardly get anything with my fish or tank, my tank is planted. My dad lost a lot of fish [which would of been the amount of fish I have in my tank] in the past year, most were from petco which were sick when he got them. I lost 4 fish, 3 due to age and one to disease in a year. I did get ich one in awhile, but it was due to adding a new fish, I had it clearing in a few days. I may do a water change once a month or so.. cause I don't want to stress my fish out every week.

Heres both of my tanks.
IMG_0078.JPG I have to get more plants for this tank, this was after my water change. Most of my plants grew and rooted themselves in but my large pleco likes to knock them lose.

IMG_0079.JPG My 10g, still requires more plants. I do small water change every week. Right now I have a HMDT plakat and 2 small catfish, these were in my 5 gallon.

IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0079.JPG

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Neither of those tanks has enough plants to do much for keeping the water quality good. They are very lightly planted.

Every one of my 5 tanks gets a 50% water change every single week, and out of nearly 100 fish, I have never had a single fish suffer any stress as a result of a water change.

The only time a fish will suffer stress from a water change, is if you let the water go for too long without changing it and then you do a big water change, which creates a drastic change to the water parameters. To put it simply, the longer you wait to change your water, the more likely it is that your fish will be stressed when you finally do.

Believe me, the stress from poor water quality is much harder on a fish than the stress of being bugged by a plastic tube once a week for a few minutes.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 14 Pro Max
I'm going to get more plants soon, my dad is going to give me some of his tank, I'm also going to buy some more when I can. I have algae growing like crazy on my plants, which the swordtails and shark nibble on. When I had my old 30g over a year ago, I done weekly water changes on that tank, the large angel is used to water changes, but most of my old fish passed away from the 30g due to age.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store