My DIY Light Hood (56K warning)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Looks pretty good! I just finished building my own hood project which I put info and pictures up on this post:http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79093

I realize you already have it built but I found that the larger fans are quiter for the most part. The smaller ones generaly spin at higher rpms making a higher pitch whine while the large ones spin more slowly making more of a deep hum. I forget what they measure in mm but they are 5"x5" ultra quite ones, and to further reduce the noise I wired them both in series so they are getting 1/2 power each and I assume around 1/2 the rpms. Now I cannot hear them with the hood closed (they are on the back side of the hood next to the wall too), one blows in the other blows out. They are cooling my ballasts and lights well that are ~250W. Just thought I would mention incase you find they are loud, as many folks probably would think of trying to wire them in series.

portabuddy

The Best Registered User EVER...
Oct 29, 2006
mississauga ontario canada
I also bought 4 ballists running 4 lights(but thats because i had too cuz i got t6 bulbs), I got 4 40w 2 blue and 2 colour enhancers. not to go off topic but how are you getting 250W out of 4 lights when each t8 only outputs 32w?, anyway nice hood i like the lunar lights..

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The T8s are overdriven, so instead of 4 bulbs on a ballast there are 2, and each bulb gets twice the power. This way, a 32w bulb gets roughly 64w of power, and is proportionally brighter. 64w*4= roughly 250w.

portabuddy

Oct 29, 2006
??? I'm not an electrical engeneer but i thought that it didnt do that???, so are you saying that I'm overdriving my 4? since i have 4 ballists that support two each on 4 bulbs?, if so then that explains why I grow the baddest strongest algae ever(i dosed my tankd with hydrogen-peroxied for two weeks with no results.)

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
I was wondering about having 4 ballasts too... I think IceCap 600s will drive that array of bulbs (but it wouldn't have been much cheaper, may not have had as much flexibility w/ timers etc.).

Very nice effort!

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
portabuddy said:
??? I'm not an electrical engeneer but i thought that it didnt do that???, so are you saying that I'm overdriving my 4? since i have 4 ballists that support two each on 4 bulbs?, if so then that explains why I grow the baddest strongest algae ever(i dosed my tankd with hydrogen-peroxied for two weeks with no results.)
You overdrive a bulb by hooking mulitple ballast outputs to a single bulb. Like if you parallel all the outputs on a 4x ballast into just one bulb the thing will be really bright. You have to specifically wire it up that way though, you cant just remove 2 of the bulbs from a 4-bulb fixture and expect that the remaining 2 bulbs will be getting more power, just doesnt work that way. Do a search for "ODNO" to find out more info on that subject or check out a brief write up I did on it at http://tristan.homelinux.net/fish/tank/retrofit/index.htm
If your ballasts are wired up by the manufacturer thier arent odno, if you wired them and instead of using the wiring guide, you paralleled multiple outputs then you may have an odno setup.Without knowing exactly how its wired I cant really tell just by your description.

portabuddy

Oct 29, 2006
thanks man i'll mlook into it, i have a thread going in when i made the setup New Lights For My Cichlid Tank

but i only used one output from the ballist so i would say no im not overdriving it, but now that you mention it i might.

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
Nice work !!!!!! What paint did you use ? I have found that alot of over the counter type white oil base paints yellow fairly fast. A painter turned me on to the Porter Paints Glyptex. It resists yellowing. I use it and it does stay white. Just thought I would pass on this info if you ever need to repaint it.
Nothing like a good DIY :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store