My Dwarf Gourami is Bloated!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
With all three pieces of foam the only trouble I have had is that they do such a good job at collecting particulate matter that they sometimes clog when you have that many. But just keep an eye on your flow and you should be fine (I only had it happen when I was away and had someone else feeding the tank). Glad to hear it worked!

Tetar

AC Members
Feb 13, 2016
With all three pieces of foam the only trouble I have had is that they do such a good job at collecting particulate matter that they sometimes clog when you have that many. But just keep an eye on your flow and you should be fine (I only had it happen when I was away and had someone else feeding the tank). Glad to hear it worked!
Okay, i'll make sure they don't get clogged

Tetar

AC Members
Feb 13, 2016
Now, I can't find one of my platies. I expected that Spotty would die, because she wouldn't eat anything, even if I put a piece of food on her nose practically! But, after not seeing her for a few days, which was weird, since she likes to hang out by the heater and just float in place for hours, I did a very good search around the whole tank. She definitely wasn't in the tank, unless she buried herself with gravel. She wasn't around the tank on the ground or in the filter. Now, I'm sitting there scratching my head, when I notice that my white molly looks pregnant. I'm so excited, until I have the idea that, maybe, Snowflake ate Spotty! Is this possible? I read online that when fish die, sometimes other fish can eat the dead fish, but could Snowflake completely eat Spotty just overnight? I know I would notice a dead fish if it was at the top of the tank, which was where Spotty loved to hang out. What do you guys think?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
It's possible with all those fish and decomp, that if it was stuck somewhere for a few days it would have been picked apart enough to not be visible now. The bones are pretty tiny and get hidden in the substrate pretty well

Tetar

AC Members
Feb 13, 2016
It's possible with all those fish and decomp, that if it was stuck somewhere for a few days it would have been picked apart enough to not be visible now. The bones are pretty tiny and get hidden in the substrate pretty well
Okay, that makes sense.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Fish will canabalize dead tankmates, and it can happen very fast. If you have snails in your tank, they can also make quick work of a fish corpse. This even happens in closely monitored tanks with well fed fish!

Tetar

AC Members
Feb 13, 2016
Fish will canabalize dead tankmates, and it can happen very fast. If you have snails in your tank, they can also make quick work of a fish corpse. This even happens in closely monitored tanks with well fed fish!
Okay. I guess that was what happened! Was there something I could have done to prevent Spotty's death?

Tetar

AC Members
Feb 13, 2016
Now, another of my platies died. But, this time, my platy, Pearl, was completely healthy until she started swimming upside down and going in circles. It looked like she was having a seizure. It was like something was wrong with her nervous system. I took her out of the tank and a little bit later she died. Do fish normally die like this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store