My first 29gal Fowlr

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Haven't updated this in a while.

So... How about I almost killed everything in the tank.

Remember the gutted canister filter I had on just for extra flow? Well every time I did a waterchange/turned off the filter, the intake tube would fall to the bottom of the tank, and me being lazy decided to leave the filter off so I dont have keep picking up the tube. That was about 3 months ago now. Lately I've been noticing the water getting slightly cloudy and my green frogspawn never fully opened up anymore oh and the skimmer was pulling out some nasty gunk, today I get home from work and the tank is really cloudy. At this point I have no idea what it could be so I decide to run some carbon. So I take the tubes off the canister filter and a little water spills out. PHEW!!!! It smells disgusting like decomposed shrimp when you cycle a tank. I never closed the tubes that run too and from the filter so all along whatever pods were left in the filter when I turned it off eventually died and started decomposing, this nasty water slowly leached into the tank via the input and output tubes.

So far I did a 10 gallon water change (this is all the water I had mixed up at the time) and I'm running carbon through a HOB filter. This is all I can do at this time since it's 10pm, tomorrow I'll try to get some more water and keep on doing water changes. Other than that I'm just going to ride this out and hope that nothing gets killed.

Last edited:

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Sorry guys, haven't checked this thread in a while. Everything survived and the tank is back to normal, I've made a few new coral addition's. I'm slacking big time with pictures, I'll try to get some up tomorrow.

On the 25th is the tank's 1 year anniversary.:headbang2:

It's also about time to change the bulbs, I'm still trying to figure out what bulb configuration to go with.

Adroit

AC Members
Apr 3, 2008
Nice job on controlling the algae

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks. I added a small rose bubble tip anemone today, it's slightly bleached but otherwise looks healthy. I gave it the whole rock on the right side of the tank just in case it decides to move (which it has already) and move the devils hand to the center rock.

In other news I replaced two of the bulbs both actinics to be exact, I added a Giesemann pure actinic+, and a UV indigo sun which is similar to a fiji purple. As of right now the tank is a little too purple for me I guess I see how things end up next week when the bulbs burn in more and I add the other two bulbs.

I couldn't capture the true color of the tank with auto white balance so I'll mess with the white balance tomorrow maybe to get the true color of the tank.

Here's the bubble tip notice it has purple tips.

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
New stuff!!

New palys I really like these alot I had 10 polyps but fragged 4 off 2 for the 15 gallon with a MH's and two for the aquapod.

Next is this birdnest this is half of it the other half went in the 15 gallon I want to see the color difference if any with t5s and MH's. (excuse the out of focusness)

And the FTS the nem has stayed put so far and seems to be getting a tad bit darker.

The frogspawns are closed because I got an MP10 for the 15 gallon tank and took the K3 from it and put it in here.

Also got the other two bulbs so now I'm running:

-UV indigo sun (kinda like a fiji purple)
-Giesemann Pure Actinic+
-Giesemann Midday (6500k bulb)
-Giesemann Aquablue+

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store