My first 29gal Fowlr

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Like mentioned before a couple times ealier in this thread snails or any animals that'll eat GHA will just cover the problem not solve it. I think the two major things that set the algae off was the fact that I filled the tank with tap water (it was treated with prime) and I bought a piece of live rock that already had the algae growing on it, but mostly the tap water. As you can see weekly 5 gallon water changes with known good RO/DI water has almost completely solved my problems, I still have some on the powerheads but it's no longer growing on the rocks.

And thanks for the feedback.

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
New corals today.:dance:

New chalice hopefully it'll color up under my lights

And my acan which is eating only 3 hours after being in the tank (that's it's second mysis)

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
I'm in the process of swapping a tank over to SW and this thread has been great to read! Thanks!

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Your tank looks great. And the pics are incredible! What do you use for a camera?
Are you finding that your hair algae is going away? Just asking because during the first year I had a nasty cyano outbreak, the green hair algae, then some sort of brown hair algae, and then the coraline finally seemed to choke it out and it's been pretty stable for months now.
Robbie

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks I'm using a canon rebel xti most shots were are witht he stock lens some with a 50mm 1.8 and others with a 17-85 usm lens.

Yes! the green hair algae is finally almost all gone. I'm not really sure what finally got rid of it, I'm thinking it was from switching the source or my RODI water (first source was from a shady LFS, it wouldn't have suprised me if the were selling tap as RO water)and weekly waterchanges. There were times where I thought I would never get rid of it.

I followed your tank build for a while when I started this tank, I was really amazed with it. I remember coming home from work and the first thing I'd check was for updates on your thread.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I started dosing vodka in my tank just last week to get rid of my bad algae in my tank. It was a minor problem for me for a while.. not enough for me to take action on it though... until.. I started to dose Amino Acids. I was warned ahead of time that amino acids will cause an algae outbreak, but I only dosed 2x at 1/2 strength and BAM, major outbreak, so I stopped that and now dosing .3ml per day of vodka to get rid of the algae. (Yes, that is .3, very small amount).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store