My first real planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tom C

AC Members
Nov 17, 2016
Belgium
Real Name
Tom
First off I'd like to say hi to everyone, I'm new here and new to the hobby of aquariums. I've had a small (30 liters) tank of guppies with and anubias in it for 8 months now, and am about to buy a larger aquarium, and would love your input on the plans I currently have for the one I'm buying.

Technical details:
- aquarium: Juwel Vision 260
- lighting: standard with the aquarium: HiLite Light Unit, 2x54W
- filter: JBL e1501
- heater: eheim 150W
- no CO2 system in place, I plan to start with liquid additives and evolve to a homemade solution later.

Tank idea:
I want to do some minor aquascaping, I really love the Japanese style tanks with their large stones sticking out of hills of substrate, with the substrate covered by a carpet plant. I also really like the idea of having a piece of driftwood with java moss attached to the top to resemble a tree. Keeping in mind the golden ratio, I would build a hill on the left side, top it off with a few dragon stones (or a black type of stone, not certain yet), and a valley on the right side, containing the tree. (I would add a link to a few example pictures, but, anti SPAM rule...).
The goal is to achieve a low-maintenance tank that still looks good, and to have the fish provide the nutrients for the plants, and have the plants provide the O2 for the fish.

Plants (I specifically tried to look for plants that are easy to keep and do not absolutely require CO2):
- Java moss for the tree
- Micranthemum monte carlo in the foreground and under the tree
- Staurogyne Repens further back
- a few moss balls to help prevent algea issues when starting up (might keep them, might remove them later)

I want to use a dark brown or black gravel substrate, 1 - 3 mm, should I add a layer of sand below it to allow for better root system growth, or would root tabs suffice? I will also add Flourish Excel the first few months to start the tank.

Fish (again, simple, newbie here):
- lots of guppies
- lots of neon tetra
- a bunch of shrimp to clean the bottom
- some Anatome Helena (they did wonders to remove and keep other snails out of my first aquarium, hoping they can continue the trend)

I also still plan to buy some trimming scissors, planting tweezers, a decent testing set, and a siphon to allow me to clean the gravel and plants, plus catch the clippings while i'm trimming. Anything I'm forgetting?

I'm looking forward to your feedback, and hope to get my tank started soon! Pictures will follow once I've actually started up. :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
JMO, but the Japanese style tanks are not low maintenance. You'll need to trim on that weekly to maintain the look.

I'd go with either or on the guppies and neons. The guppies will be everywhere, and interrupt the schooling behavior of the neons. There are many hardy, easy to keep fish as well. Don't feel limited because you're new. Find something you like and see what it's care will be.

Tom C

AC Members
Nov 17, 2016
Belgium
Real Name
Tom
JMO, but the Japanese style tanks are not low maintenance. You'll need to trim on that weekly to maintain the look.

I'd go with either or on the guppies and neons. The guppies will be everywhere, and interrupt the schooling behavior of the neons. There are many hardy, easy to keep fish as well. Don't feel limited because you're new. Find something you like and see what it's care will be.
trimming once a week while the tank is growing in is fine by me, I believe I can limit the growth of the plants by (gradually) providing less CO2 and extra nutrients once it is established, no?

I'll just go neons to start with then, and slowly build up a more varied collection of fish. I've seen lots of beautiful small fish online, just can't remember their names now :)
This also means I'll be able to get the nice red cherry shrimp, which I didn't get yet because I was told my guppies might eat them!

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It won't be 'while it is growing in'...that will be needed always. These aren't plants that get to a set height/shape and stay there, they will keep growing. Reducing light and nutrients will make them turn straggly and patchy, just as reducing light will make them grow taller.

Tom C

AC Members
Nov 17, 2016
Belgium
Real Name
Tom
Alright, I'll best start with a few, and see how much maintenance they take before trying a whole carpet, I can always add more later (perhaps even using cuttings of the existing plants to save costs). Do you reckon these plants need sand below a toplayer of fine gravel, or would they be fine like that?

Any tips for other small fish?

The standard Danios, Platies,... ?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
They won't need sand.

There are bunches--search on nano-fish. Consider the behavior, the color, ect. I'm a fan of the micro rasboras, and the smaller barbs. Most of these fish are a bit shy, and will appreciate some cover, and are safe with shrimp. If you like the neon shape and behavior, maybe look at green neons instead. They stay slightly smaller, and school better.

Reactions: Tom C

Tom C

AC Members
Nov 17, 2016
Belgium
Real Name
Tom
micro rasboras look great! And i'll go for green neons instead yes, I'd like to have lots of small fish for schooling behaviour and interactions :)

Tom C

AC Members
Nov 17, 2016
Belgium
Real Name
Tom
So I got my tank yesterday evening! Tonight it's time to remove that back side (does not fit with the "landscape" style I want), and give it a thorough clean. I read that best things to use is salt and diluted vinegar. All tips welcome!

Still can't post a picture, I'm too new as a member (need to have been a member for 2 days, so that's about 30 more hours?)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You should still be able to upload pictures to a service like photobucket and just imbed or post links here (I think)

Tom C

AC Members
Nov 17, 2016
Belgium
Real Name
Tom
What a night! Yesterday I got to work on my second hand tank, removing the (in my opinion) ugly background. The guy who installed it obviously did not follow the instructions, getting silicone EVERYWHERE! Took me 3 hours to get rid of the back wall, spent another hour cleaning the aquarium with vinegar alcohol, a sponge and a scraper. I also had some salt ready (as per tips i found online), but couldn't really see anything that might require it.

Then spent another hour to completely fill it up using buckets (going to get a hose soon, to make things easier), and turned on heater and pump to see if it all works, and check if there are no leaks. I just used cold tap water to fill it, as there is nothing in there currently, and it will all be removed in a couple of days anyway. I read that I should test it for about a week before emptying and continuing.

I do have one big question, while cleaning the aquarium I accidentally hit the top center plastic "cross guard" beam, and the walls are slightly bulging out at the top, I can tell by the fact that the lid that came with the tank is just half a cm short in the center on both sides, would this pose a problem? I did notice that the previous owner had it glued in place, so it's probably not the first time it broke. If this is a risk I will glue it back into place when I empty the aquarium after testing.

D dougall : I tried it, gave me an error, the only point I did not meet was a requirement to have been a member for 48 hours, same thing again today, this afternoon or tomorrow morning I should be able to post pictures.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store