My Freshwater Fishtank makes my House smell! Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rainstorm~

AC Members
Apr 25, 2010
It makes my house smell and I have no clue how to stop it... or make the smell minor. If you have any tips post please!

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
How big is your tank and what size filter? How long do you keep your light on? What do you have in your tank for fish,inverts and plants and how many? How often do you do a water change and gravel clean? What are the water parameters in your tank and out of your tap? If you have plants, what do you use for ferts and how often? Your tank should not have an odor to it so there has to be a reason for the odor. As much info as you can give would be helpful in us at AC to help you with this issue.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
A fishtank should not smell really at all, never mind smelling up a whole house. What is your water change/cleaning regimen? I would start by doing some water changes, if the water is dirty enough to smell bad, the fish cannot be very comfortable in it.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
A fishtank should not smell really at all, never mind smelling up a whole house. What is your water change/cleaning regimen? I would start by doing some water changes, if the water is dirty enough to smell bad, the fish cannot be very comfortable in it.
Agreed. A fishtank should have almost no odor. If I put my nose right over the water, I smell a slightly earthy smell, but that's it.

Rainstorm~

AC Members
Apr 25, 2010
How big is your tank and what size filter? My fishtank is a 16 gallon, and the filter size is.. I believe medium.
How long do you keep your light on? I only have the light on about ten minutes in the mourning, and about 3 hours at night.
What do you have in your tank for fish,inverts and plants and how many? I have plastice plant, a octocinclis & bristlenose pleeco, and 1 sailfin mollie, 1 perl gourami, blood gourami, female paradice gourami and thats it..
How often do you do a water change and gravel clean? I clean the water 1 time every two months as well as a gravel clean.
What are the water parameters in your tank and out of your tap? I really don't know the answer to this....

And I will try another water cleaning & gravel cleaning today... Because I even have a tiny 2 gallon tank in one room and the whole room smells of fish.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It is highly recommended by most folks here to do a 30-50% water change weekly. Vac'ing the substrate as necessary.

Also, if you have a lid and/or hood on the tank, take it off and clean it at least once a month.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I clean the water 1 time every two months as well as a gravel clean.
This is probably your problem. As Rb said, I would try for once a week cleanings, especially with the stock you have in that tank.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Yeah, you definitely need to do more water changes, and make sure you vac the gravel as well. Also, your tank has quite a heavy load of fish. With as many fish as you have, you should probably be doing 2 WCs a week. I would also suggest getting live plants, to help with water quality.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
I agree on that totally. You have a large bioload in your tank(especially with a pleco in there). Doing larger water changes more often will eliminate any odor and will make your fishies much happier, plus make your nose happier as well.

Rainstorm~

AC Members
Apr 25, 2010
Okay thats, I will start doing this right away... And I think I will get some live plants too. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store