My goldfish is pooping A LOT. No, like, really, A LOT.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StarSapphire22

Senior Member and Goldie Enthusiast
May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
So we set up our new 75 gallon yesterday and other than some slightly cloudy water from all the stupid sand settling, the fishies are happy as can be! YAY! :dance:

(Here's a pic of our setup, there's 2 sponger filters and 2 powerheads going. the HOB filter isn't working?! Having a friend look at it tomorrow. It never started up. :angryfire:)
100_0433.JPG

Anyways, we took his sand. We kept an inch of water in the bottom to keep the sand wet and hopefully keep alive any bacteria that might be in there. After it was set up and running successfully for a few hours, we put in our fish, and apparently there are LOTS of yummy things in that sand, cause they will not do anything other than sift the sand, or swim to a new spot to sift sand. I didn't feed them yesterday, because I read you weren't supposed to on moving day. They had literally maybe 10 seconds of adjusting to the tank when we first put them in and other than that they have been swimming around like normal and seem really happy. I watched for bottom sitting or labored breathing or anything, and they have been perfectly fine. So I figured eating wouldn't be that big of a deal today. I woke up and went to give them their morning feeding and my roomate told me my moor had a "rather impressive poop" earlier. I just figured whatever, she's not used to goldfish. So I fed them and came back to look at them an hour later, and WHAM! Poop more than twice as long as they were on both of them. My comet has succeeded in er,.....squeezing it off after a bit. But my moor swam around with the same 4-6 inches of poop for FOUR hours. She got most of it off and now has a new one, just as long! She's literally probably pooped about 1-1.5 feet today. I know goldfish poop a lot and they're messy, but this is a lot even for them, isn't it? I don't know if it's because of all the stuff that's probably in the sand, or if they're sick or what? Here's a picture (I know, goldfish poop is just what you wanted to see!).

100_0437.JPG

I think I'm probably going to give them daphnia for their morning feeding tomorrow, and then not feed them for a day or two? What should I be doing? :1zhelp: Thanks guys!

100_0437.JPG 100_0433.JPG

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I don't know if that is abnormal or not because I do not keep Goldfish.... but that is an impressive poop.

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Wendy, I know right?!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I don't know if that is abnormal or not because I do not keep Goldfish.... but that is an impressive poop.
Ahahahahaha

Having not kept goldfish before in my opinion it is nothing at all to worry about. It is already a high waste fish and they have probably found some yummy stuff in the sand. When I feed my fish twice in a day they'll have some big poops also. Not quite as long as that but sometimes as long or longer than their bodies

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
white stringy poo is definently not good. i think it means they have parasites but i cant remember. i do know its an illness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
Lol, I think this is the most awkward thing I've ever posted on the internet. I'm worried because she seems to not be able to you know.....get rid of it. Can fish be constipated?

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
It's not as white as it looks in the picture....it's a light brown....pretty much the color of my sand.

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
It's not an abnormal color for them, same as they've always had....MAYBE (?) a touch lighter? though my comet had one that had one black piece in it earlier.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
read up on it. it could be constipation, a bacterial infection, or internal parasites. if you think its constipation dont feed for three days and then feed some green peas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

StarSapphire22

May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
read up on the infections....don't think it's that. Parasites....maybe? But I don't think so....the only other symptom would be that she runs into walls a lot and I think that's just cause she can't see for crap (seriously, a flake of food will be right in front of her face...it will touch her lips....NO idea it's there half the time). But like....she's pooping a lot (obviously lol) it's just she can't FINISH pooping. Should I treat for constipation then?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store