my java moss island is trying to escape the aquarium ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Huh, I've had java moss grow up & out the back of my tanks but never saw cool spores like yours. Maybe I need to look harder in amongst the duckweed trapped in it.

Good luck with your health issues, my fingers are crossed for your speedy recovery!

Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Looks neat!

Speedy recovery to you Sir.

Need a lot more time and a much bigger java moss island for you to be floated down the Ganges.
I'm not looking to float anywhere!!! not right now
Ganges is a dirty, polluted river from what i recall, swimming (or floating in Dougalls case) with a paper cut you could potentially end up with an infection, like sepsis etc. from what i remember, they wee and poo in it.

sorry, had to say it LoL

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Huh, I've had java moss grow up & out the back of my tanks but never saw cool spores like yours. Maybe I need to look harder in amongst the duckweed trapped in it.

Good luck with your health issues, my fingers are crossed for your speedy recovery!
Not too worried about health issues. Just gonna need a decent hospital stay. Just hope to get it done before the AGA convention next year.

As for growing spores.. we call it benign neglect, just do enough to maintain water quality for animals, plants and algae do their thing. Quite sure there is nothing done that is special, except maybe the amount of light.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I've seen this in some folks' dart frog tanks and once in what may have been the most unkept, pitiful brick and mortar fish store I've ever seen, but never had it happen myself. That is really cool looking. Sometimes I wonder if we don't get the full potential of our plants because we try to make them conform to what we want them to look like or how we think they should grow rather than just letting them do their thing.

WYite

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I've seen this in some folks' dart frog tanks and once in what may have been the most unkept, pitiful brick and mortar fish store I've ever seen, but never had it happen myself. That is really cool looking. Sometimes I wonder if we don't get the full potential of our plants because we try to make them conform to what we want them to look like or how we think they should grow rather than just letting them do their thing.

WYite
The one thing that irks me when talking about a planted aquarium...

Always when algae starts to grow, one of the first solutions is to reduce the photoperiod as having the lights on too long will mean there is too much light and that is what is causing the all the algae.

Or have a 'siesta'

While either method may be a part of a solution, I won't condone it simply because it will force plants to grow like days are shorter, i.e. winter growth.

Obviously someone else's aquarium.. but whatevs.

I am pretty sure virtually nobody gets the full potential from their plants. Because full potential would require just far too many ecosystems we are unlikely to provide them all.

Reactions: Wyomingite

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
And, just like a tourist area...

There's always the other side of the island.

20210425_204900.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store