My knee-deep dive into plants - 55g planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
Thanks for the info. I dosed the co2 booster already (I was eager to getgoing) on Sunday, and so far nothing has melted. Whew!! I'll cut back to have next time. The Flourish I use just says ”Flourish” on the bottle, so I'm not sure which one it is.

f1sleepy

AC Members
Mar 25, 2012
Southern CA
Real Name
James
"Flourish" is liquid fertilizer and is brown in color. Flourish "excel" is the liquid based Carbon additive and is essentially clear. Underneath the Flourish label it will say "excel" in blue letters.

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
Got my lights today! Finally! Can't wait to see what happens now. And I have been dosing ferts and co2 booster regularly, about twice a week for now.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1343269822182.jpg

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
Zoo Med T5HO 54w. So far I like it better. It has hinge on the back so I can lift it wc and such.

I need to look into a timer though. The last one came with one, but not this one.

Something keeps pulling up the stem plants . I'm sure it's the cories. Any tips for that?.

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
Is there a specific way to plant glosso? I was kind of picking up some gravel and just kind of letting it fall back onto it, making sure theleaves are exposed. I'm having a hard time keeping it planted though. Probably the cories again....

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
Everything is thriving and doing good, but I think I am starting to see some kind of algea (could be paranoia) so I'm going to adjust my lighting time. Thinking about it now, it's been 12+ hours a day. That is how long my old light stayed on, but this one is so much stronger, I need to pay more attention.

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
Noticing new growth throughout :) the little bit of algae I saw has not gotten any worse. I have been trying to monitor my lighting time more closely and sometimes only turning on one of the two bulbs. I am still having a hard time keeping the glosso planted though. I replanted it all tonight, so we will see how much survives the night.

One question: is 40ppm nitrates enough to induce algae? I didn't think that was high, but it might be different with this higher lighting.

I put 10 RCS in there about 3 weeks ago, but can only find 3 :( hope they are in there somewhere.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store