My knee-deep dive into plants - 55g planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I second the timer suggestion. You can get one for only a few bucks at just about any home improvement store.

Regarding the nitrate, it's really hard to say. Once your plants become more established my guess is you wont be seeing near that level anyways.

But again, you should probably make sure the photoperiod is more consistent...8-10 hours is about right for a planted tank. That is probably what is most causing any algae to start popping up.

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
I have been asking for petsmart gc for my bday to get a liquid test kit and a timer.

I have been doing about 8 hours now, but I do a couple in the morning before work and the rest when I get home.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
No, well I guess maybe, the one I saw was just one outlet though. I just need one for the lights, so I don't need a strip. It wasn't much, but I don't remember exactly how much it was. I have been spending a bit of cash on plants and shrimp and restocking my 10g lately, so I'm trying to use gc for the few last things I need. If I don't end up with petsmart gc, I'll just buy one.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Ok, I was just wondering because I have seen individual outlet timers there but I've always purchased at a non-fish store. If there is even a price difference, it probably wont be much...but you could always then use the GC for something more enjoyable ;)

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
I got the timer. Set for 8 hrs right now. Might bump back some more. Trying to pull back on feeding (I'm a habitual over feeder, I try so hard not to), dosing less ferts but keeping up the Co2 booster. I still can't find Excel. I think my big crypt is not doing so great and I have a fuzz algae issue. It's not out of control, bit getting unsightly. The big crypt has a root tab under it, so I'm not sure what I am missing here. I am still trying so hard to avoid true Co2, but I am starting to think I might have to bite the bullet. I'll post pics when I get home since it's starting to fill in nicely :)

I also ordered a nerite snail and a few amano shrimp. Should be here today :)

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
My silver tip keeps coming up or breaking off when I plant it deeper. My huge crypt in the back is slowly loosing all it's big leaves. I have lost all the glosso except 1 piece that is doing good. Fuzz algae is still around, but not too bad. Not sure if this is just normal planted tank stuff or if I'm slowly going down the drain. Ugh! And my dang snails are out of control again (I know, overfeeding, but when they are hungry they eat plants) I am working on removing them. One day I might be able to remove them all.

uploadfromtaptalk1346205658541.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store