my L204s are here! (pics!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
One of the common things I've noticed about any fish I've bred and raised fry long enough to sex is (or received as unsexed juvies for that matter) that there are almost always more males than females. Whether they're BN pleco's, African cichlids, or Endler's livebearers the males outnumber the females.
The notable exception were the chanchito's; they seemed to produce a pretty equal number of males and females. Maybe it's a SA cichlid thing?

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Thanks for the info on the L names, cellodaisy, good to know.

Your new little guys are seriously adorable. Glad to hear that they are doing well.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Love the belly shot cello--they're even pretty on the underside! I also live in a house with non-fighy people. They just couldn't understand why I was so excited to get farlowella eggs into a net and hatched.

But then my niece came to visit :clap: and one of my highlights was teaching her how to roll the eggs and hatch them out. :p: If my farlowellas survive--I'm sending her a few for her tanks for sure!

Keep your photos coming!!!

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Thanks for the info on the L names, cellodaisy, good to know.

Your new little guys are seriously adorable. Glad to hear that they are doing well.
You're welcome, and thank you!

Gorgeous fish and they will have a great life with u,,, enjoy, i will be looking for some soon
Thanks! If you can't find any locally, you could see if Snookn21 still has them. I vaguely remember them being on a stock list here on AC as well.

They're gorgeous! All the stripey cuteness you were hoping for.
Haha... yes they do! I seem to have a real fondness for stripes and these little guys certain have them!

Love the belly shot cello--they're even pretty on the underside!
Yes they are! I was surprised when I managed to catch those shots. Like I said, they don't spend much time on the glass, so I hadn't really seen their bellies until I was keeping an eye out to snap a pic.

I also live in a house with non-fighy people. They just couldn't understand why I was so excited to get farlowella eggs into a net and hatched.

But then my niece came to visit :clap: and one of my highlights was teaching her how to roll the eggs and hatch them out. :p: If my farlowellas survive--I'm sending her a few for her tanks for sure!
Congrats! Farlowellas are so cool. I've never seen one in person, but they look like little alligators in the photos.

Keep your photos coming!!!
Will do! :)

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
They don't spend much time on the glass, but I'll keep an eye out and try to get a belly shot.
Do they eat much algae from the tank sides. I have a Flash Pleco and it tends to hang out on the bottom more than common plecos or bristlenose. It shares a tank with an angel pair, so they may be keeping him in hiding to some degree.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Do they eat much algae from the tank sides?
Nope, they're primarily wood-eaters. I do see mine hanging out on the glass occasionally, but I think they're just chilling out, not really grazing. Mine stick to the bottom few inches of the tank most of the time. If you want them up higher, I bet a tall piece of driftwood would help. The highest mine generally go is the top of the driftwood pile.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ive been thinking of get some L-204's lately along with some other small panaque species. I think you may have just made up my mind on whether or not to get some. Nice pleco's. Now I just need to make sure to have some driftwood ready when i get some.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Ive been thinking of get some L-204's lately along with some other small panaque species. I think you may have just made up my mind on whether or not to get some. Nice pleco's. Now I just need to make sure to have some driftwood ready when i get some.
Yes, and have your gravel vac warmed up and ready to go. They are adorable little poop machines! (I can't say I wasn't warned. :p:) Fortunately, it's essentially sawdust, so I don't think it impacts water quality much. (To be honest, I haven't been testing. I really should.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store