My luck finally ran out (ich)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
+1
Not trying to start a sh**storm but heat does work. We all have our preferred methods but I’ve had great success using heat. It started when I was Reef keeping and medication for wasn’t an option. I agree that for a qt, medication is better, but heat is very effective most of the time.
Probably waited a bit longer than I should've, but it's clear that heat alone isn't fully eradicating the problem in this instance. Thought I was prepared but alas the medication I bought well in advance isn't useful to the situation.

As well, the new meds don't come in until sometime next week which is extra frustrating as both the hatchets and farlowellas are getting fed up with their living quarters. The former are starting to butt heads and the farlos have only cucumber slices to gnaw on with all the algae having long been stripped bare. And now they've got another two weeks if not more to sit through...

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
The spots do look like ich. The squiggly line in the fin looks like it could be scar tissue as a result of a tear in the fin healing, though the pic isn't clear enough or focused in enough to say that with any confidence. If it isn't fuzzy and isn't changing shape or color I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on it until you're sure it won't change.

S Snagrio You've done what you've thought was best. I'm not going to criticize. Everyone should know my stance on meds by now (hard and fast), so you didn't do what I would have done but that doesn't make it wrong. You followed the instructions on raising heat to the letter and it didn't work. The thing is, you were taking the welfare of your fish into account. You already realize it's time to take the next step. It sucks you have to wait for the meds. You've learned from this and will be better prepared next time. Take what you've learned away from this and you'll be a better fishkeeper for it. That's all you can ask for.

If there's one thing this hobby teaches, it is patience, that's for sure. I'm not a patient person by nature and I always want to make things happen. The fact is, you can't just make things happen with your tanks. Critters and plants don't always comply to our wishes... ;)

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sorry Snagrio, I know you've worked hard & it has helped... But you should be done or almost by now, 3 weeks in since you posted & I answered. This is why I don't hang out in the sick fish forum. At least ich is usually easy to diagnose unlike many fish diseases. You know I wish you & your fish good luck :)

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
The Paraguard arrived today, but just my luck, I did an inspection and found one hatchet dead... I think it was the one that got injured a while ago so I don't think there's anything the medication could've done but, it's still disheartening...

Did a water change, lowered the heater setting a few degrees and added the dose, so that's at least underway.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm sorry you lost a hatchet (ich can hide in the gills) but glad you finally got a drug that should help. I haven't used Paraguard, just follow the instructions for dosing...but plan on a longer treatment than they might suggest...& vac often between doses. Again, good luck & let us know how it's going

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store