My Mum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

janewalsh11

AC Members
Jun 30, 2007
uk
My mum will be 68 in July,she has severe dementia and lives in a care home,on Wednesday she fell over and broke her wrist,she was admitted to hospital.She has hurt her hip too,as yet we don't know what is wrong with the hip.She's had a few x-rays,we're waiting to be told what they show.She's in extreme pain with it and screams out when the nurses try to do anything with her.They have her on painkillers etc to keep her comfortable.Normally at the home she's very mobile,she never sits still,she can still feed herself and drink from a proper cup.

So, here she is in hospital,out of her familiar environment,now super confused and only able to use one hand.Imagine my horror when i arrived the other night to find her dinner still sitting there,untouched and totally out of reach !!!! I cut up some sausage and gave her it cold,she ate a little bit. I then vented my spleen on nursing staff for leaving her this way,she needs help to eat!!!!

Last night i went to see her,visiting times are 2-3pm and 6-7 pm,she was very confused and very agitated,her mind was on overdrive,she was whispering lots of things,none of which made any sense. I hugged her and kissed her,tried to reassure her and calm her down a bit. She did calm a bit.I kept prompting her to drink water,she has a beaker with a lid and drinks through a straw,this was fine and she was drinking well.

I offered her more water,at this point she got it into her head that this was something bad,she tensed her arm whilst holding the beaker and shouted as loud as she could "mummy,mummy ,no mummy this will kill me it's dangerous".It took me with both hands to prise the beaker from her one hand,her strength was amazing.I held her hand,she gripped my hand so tight,i stroked her face and shoulder to calm her down,at this point i lost it,tears streamed down my face.I kissed her and hugged her when i said goodbye,walked out of the ward pretty fast and sobbed like a baby.

It's hard and cruel,she is alone for so many hours,the sooner we get her back to the care home the better.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Oh, Jane, I had no idea, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine what kind of emotions you must be feeling.
You are a wonderful daughter for sticking by her. My brother and sister both work at old folks homes, and a lot of people just abandon their parents once they get inconvenient.
I hope your mom heals fast and is back in her care home soon.
She is lucky to have a daughter who cares so much.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Such a hard situation Jane, I am so sorry! Dementia is really tough on the families to deal with without broken bones and pain in the mix. You, your mom, your family are in my prayers. It's crushing but know friends are thinking of you and sending some strength and love your way!

ayra321

}((((*>
Jul 28, 2009
florida
im so sorry!i hope she has a fast recovery and can be freed from that confusing and unfamiliar environment and back home as soon as possible.you are such a good daughter,your mum is lucky to have you in her life.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Jane I am so sorry to hear that you and your mom are experiencing such pain and such a difficult time. My prayers are for you both.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Aww Jane that is brutal. My grandmother had dementia and it was so heartbreaking. I will keep you guys in my thoughts and hope your mother has a speedy recovery

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
My prayers are with you and your family Jane. My grandmother had alzheimers and degenerated over years until she passed. I hope for a fast recovery.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I am so sorry to hear about your mom! I hope she recovers quickly!

Also my prayers are with you and your family.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store