My new-old 75gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lachette

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
TX
okay, yea, i think im giving up on those stubborn spots. some people at the LFS are saying that the water here in texas will actually etch and embed calcium into the glass.... at least its not all that noticeable when its wet. so.... i guess ill clean the rest of it the best i can and then deal with the stand and try to get the tank up and running even sooner. on a side note, none of the LFS stores around here stock south American dwarf cichlids. so anyone recommend any online stores i could possibly get some from? if all else fails, i can just fall back to my orig plan of going with a tank full of schooling community fish.

Lachette

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
TX
Long time no update....

*SIGH* It's almost been a month. I got my tank nice and clean and went to work on the stand. After getting it all nice and clean and thinking that re-truing and leveling it out would be easy, it seems it is in worse shape than I initially thought. So instead of wasting more money on a stand that prally wont support the tank, I either have to buy a brand new one from the LFS (which would cost more than what i paied for the used tank) or build one myself.

Me being the engineer, I would love to build one, but since I just graduated from college, and live in an apartment, I have no woodworking tools with which to build one. I posted in the wanted ads to see if anyone here who is in the Houston area willing to help out but no replies yet... If all else fails, I might have to take the plunge and buy a brand new one in a few weeks.

I REALLY WANT MY TANK UP AND RUNNING!! ARG.

Lachette

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
TX
oh yea i saw that thread, and i totally thought about it. id still would have to buy tools and such which would end up being the same or more than buying a prebuilt one, which is why i was looking for a local with tools i could borrow or something.
Im on limited funds, so ill have to wait another 2 weeks for more money to figure out what i need/want to do.

Snake Eyez

AC Members
Jun 14, 2004
Central Florida
Visit site
I've used CLR on 3 tanks for cleaning purposes. This along with a razor has taken care of any buildup I have had. This was of course follows my multiple cleanings before they were set back up.

Lachette

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
TX
thanks snake, i found that some of the deposits would not go away even with CLR, i even covered those areas with CLR soaked paper towel and covered with plastic wrap to keep from drying but that didnt help, i had to ramp up to muriatic acid to get everything cleaned up. fair bit of warning, use it outside, its nasty but water solubale so in my mind still okay to use after a good cleaning out with water multiple times.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
That is definitly etching. I find that most etching becomes invisible when the tank is filled with water.

Did the acid repair the etching?

Keep your eyes peeled. I was lucky enough to find a 5 ft workbench in the trash that holds up my 75. I modded a 2X4 ceiling fixture for light. Got the tank for free too.

Q

Lachette

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
TX
yea the acid got rid of most of it, now whats left is only a slight etch near the top of the tank in the back (well the side i denoted as the back) earlier i thought all of that mess was etch but it was just some really tough deposits. it was almost nearly indistinguishable from the glass to the touch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store