My octopus laid eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It is a shame the females have to die shortly after laying their egg sacs. Good luck attempting to raise the young. Many octopus species have an extensive planktonic larval stage, so I don't think it'll be all that easy. But then again, I've never looked into the natural history of this species nor have I looked at any aquaculture info.

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
This is incredible! Good luck on raising the young. Keep us updated.

Matt.

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
An idea on running your skimmer and not losing the babies..
get a piece of plexiglass the same depth and width of your tank, drill alot of holes in it, and wrap it with a piece of womens nylons...then it will flow through, yet screen out the fry... the more you keep on hand, the higher the chance you have of keeping some alive

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Im thinking of setting up breeder nets around the tank and then turning on the skimmer, they all cant escape through the net because I have tried one now. Tommorow I think I'll buy a few more, this makes the feeding easier too, and I really want to get the skimmer going now.

apelaston

much more than a hobby to me.
Mar 21, 2008
bradford, ohio
www.myspace.com
wow...i cannot imagine that!!! waking up and having gnat swarms of OCTOPus babies omg..

congrats. good luck. and sorry about mom, but she died with a cause...

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
congratulations and condolences on your loss. Wow what an experience you are going to go through with raising these young. I am so glad that you are sharing it with us.

Thank you

ps as I was looking for info about rasing octopus fry I found this and thought every one might like it.
Research: Octopuses Flirt, Hold Hands, Guard Their Lovers; 'If You Watch Them, They Watch You Back' http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=13910624507

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Nice article Draal. Im down to very few today, as predicted by the few others who tried raising small egg species. So I have the remaining ~40 or so in breeder net, skimmer and airstone is on, and I'm still feeding oyster eggs and cyclop-eeze. These next 24 hours look like they will be a deciding factor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store