My Pleco is a Homewrecker!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

majortank

Do you like fishsticks?
Jul 16, 2008
DC
On a brighter note:

Madding- I love your avatar!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Plecaty - I hope you don't think my response was an attack on you. It's not. There are many beginning hobbyists that would not know what size tank a 15" pleco should be housed in nor how to properly take care of it. And regardless of what the local fish store says, a 55 gallon tank is not large enough to house a 15" pleco. Regarding the pleco breeding pattern....You have't posted what kind of pleco it is. Breeding patterns are different for different plecos. If your's is a common pleco, you can find a little information here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/pleco/common.php
Breeding of commons doesn't take place very often so I don't think there's a lot of info available on it. They breed in caves in the sides of the mud of ponds and such, rarely in aquariums.

As for making her less of a homewrecker, due to her large size in comparison to the tank decorations, there's really not much you can do to keep her from accidentally knocking things over. It's her sheer size, not done out of meaness or bad behavior. Hope that helps.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
First of all, I didn't post on this website to be attacked, she is very happy and healthy, I recently went to look at bigger tanks since I read the first one about the tank being too small and told them about my pleco and they said she's perfectly fine. I've had her for a week and the water doesn't get polluted, I clean their poop out of the tank everyday. So thanks for the "advice" but unless you have answers to the questions I'm looking for, don't bother leaving a reply.

Nobody is attacking anyone, and i see nothing but solid advice given regarding your aquatic situation.

Posts in this thread, giving "advice" do pertain to your issue of the pleco being disruptive, which is due to the size of the fish, and the size of the tank....So, it all applys....

Its down to you, as the thread OP to step back and listen to the advice given now, and make your own informed decisions..The info is laid out for you here, maybe now its time to listen too it...

Lets not have any more condecending tones from either members nor thread op, else it will be closed....

Thanks, and y'all have a good day...

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
First of all, I didn't post on this website to be attacked, she is very happy and healthy, I recently went to look at bigger tanks since I read the first one about the tank being too small and told them about my pleco and they said she's perfectly fine. I've had her for a week and the water doesn't get polluted, I clean their poop out of the tank everyday. So thanks for the "advice" but unless you have answers to the questions I'm looking for, don't bother leaving a reply.
I have had bad experiences with forums and I see you have before to. The defensive posture you are taking must be a reflex from past attacks and elite behavior of other sites.

I know I was like that I am assuming you are like I was. The folks here are not attack types ... I've found this site very good for chat and advise. Criticism is only in constructive nature and meant to be informative only.

So please let the guard down and give the people here a clean slate and better chance before you feel you have to be mean. I think you are not doing yourself justice by being on the defense here for only getting constructive criticism.

I can only speak for myself and experiences I have had here. I dont tend to wander over to fresh section..but when I do I never have met any rude folks here. Everyone is pretty much laid back and kind.

So please lets start out on a better footing and hope you don't leave the site over misunderstood postings. The mods here are very nice. Give them the benefit of the doubt or even look at the other posts here.

you will see nobody here that I can think of are jerks...we correct each other often...and try to help one another learn and expand our knowledge.

About the TOpic:

I am in agreement about tank size. It doesn't mean he wont survive or have a happy home. Its just a little cramped for him is all. Have you considered that aspect?

Also I love plecos to though I left fresh world..I can understand your desire to have that fish in the tank.

esparonisproud

AC Members
Feb 7, 2009
if u wanna breed plecos get sum bristlenoses,,,and also i really doubt ull spawn a common pleco in a tank with no male

Last edited by a moderator:

FL CommunityFan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2008

Wow. Sorry if you were offended. I was not attacking you in any way. Some people don't know how plecos should be cared for.

edited after reading some of the mods comments in regards to being civil.

I'm biting my tongue though.

editing again to post more 'constructive' and not 'attacking' commentary:

Who told you your fish would be fine in a tank of 55gallons? Someone at the LFS? If so, you should take that as a lesson learned and never listen to what LFS employees have to say. While there may be 1 that knows what they are talking about there are 9 that don't and 6 of those 9 will make up things just to get you to buy something. In the future, do all your researching for fish online prior to making a purchase (this is a recommendation not an order). Sometimes I'll see a fish I've never seen before and snap a pic with my phone. I'll load it up to various sites and get various opinions on what it may actually be as often LFS's have them labeled incorrectly. Once I have gotten a solid idea of what species it is, I'll do more research in to what requirements it has such as food/water temp/pH/aggression/etc.

Last edited:

TheIrishJedi

Abe Lincoln Sucked
"No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

It is rather interesting how we react to negative things; even the mundane.

I always thought you could have 1g per 1" of fish? But I'm still a noob and don't know much. I could, however, see how it would be a problem for a 15" fish to turn in a normal tank, though.

FL CommunityFan

AC Members
Mar 14, 2008
"No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

It is rather interesting how we react to negative things; even the mundane.

I always thought you could have 1g per 1" of fish? But I'm still a noob and don't know much. I could, however, see how it would be a problem for a 15" fish to turn in a normal tank, though.

That's hogwash for the most part. You can overcrowd a tank as long as you have the appropriate fish to do so with and have the filtration to handle the bioloads they produce. Mbuna cichlids are a good example of this. You stock them heavily otherwise they would pick each other off systematically til you were left with 1 fish. Stocking them heavy allows the aggression to be dispersed throughout the group.

You don't put a 15" fish in a tank that is only 12" wide be it a pleco, a gulper, a Dovii, a Jaguar, an arowana... the list goes ona nd on literally.

esparonisproud

AC Members
Feb 7, 2009
now when everyone helps her she leaves the forum poor pleco tht thing needs a pond =[

SheLegit

Registered Member
Apr 30, 2023
I read that this person left, too bad I was happy to be the only one to attack 😂 Everyone here is so nice. 💙

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store