My Pond -- Load Warning!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I never started a thread of my pond build here. Pond in my siggy got as far as a hole with a liner then I filled it in and moved location and entire plan. So here are some pictures throughout the build, took a full summer with a little spring and fall to complete it. When at max water level system holds about 5,000 gallons. Used about 30 tons of rock and no machinery, all dug by hand and the biggest rocks were moved with slings made from underlayment.

Location and our shade structure

Colorized. Water is pumped from the pump vault to the waterfall and the bog, bog overflows into the main pond.

Stuff you never knew was there....

Put it in the hole! This is the water basin/pump vault area.

Initial waterfall hill, we made it wider later on.

Overview of progress. you can see the waterfal hill in the back, the basin behind the garage can and the initial outline of the pond with the burm leveled out. We made the pond bigger too. The straight lines of fresh dirt was where we ran new plumbing for yard hydrants and the auto top off for the pond, which is located in the basin.

Hole!

I don't know what the picture limit per post is so I will do this in groups of 10.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Hole enlarged, cleared of any pokey things and the rock shelf was reinforced with concrete just cause our soil is so sandy. It is 3ft to 3.5ft deep.

The bog. The crate/lattice thing is upside down, it provides an open space under the gravel. The black hose is soaker hose that I run air through the help loosen gunk during cleaning.

Progress jump! First test run of water flow.

First frogs came within 2 days of adding water.

And tadpoles soon followed!

A little more life. Added short after getting pond wet.

Video of test run Photobucket. Let me know if that works.

Enough water, back to dry rocks! The big rock on the bottom took me and 3 guys to move.

Ok, wet again. Falls were altered after this, much better now.

To be continued....

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
First batch of 10 fish. Free from a beighbor. Some lilies in the back there and you can see the hardscaping is coming together.

I added many plant pockets like this wherever there was extra liner, why waste it! You can see the deck there too...don't know where those pictures are.

Some green water and water hyacinth, starting with 5 planets and then...

Started planting around the pond area.

Mulched everything! Kept all grass out of this area. Eventually we may add synthetic grass or a pathway or something.

Lighting

From on top of the waterfall hill, you can see snow on flox on the hill and the chairs.

Another angle

Dragon gargoyle under the deck

The bog

Overview

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Snow!

And Ice!

Spring, started adding some wood around the pond.

Bog

Snails! So many snails!

Improved waterfall flow

Just pretty

Added a DIY flow thru skimmer type thing to make it easier to remove debris, was raking it out of the rocks before.

Flox have grown A LOT! These were planted in the fall and this is may 5th of the following spring!

By the end of may they finally started losing their flowers, they were the first to bloom btw. But the cinnamon fern is looking lovely!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
It begins....and hasn't end yet! This crap grows like crazy, especially in the winter when the plants are dormant. The fish eat it in the main pond but the 30feet of stream in horrible! At least it is good for the water quality.

June 2015

I love how the water is on the lily pad with him.

Group photo! At some point in the fall I added 13 more fish BTW. Also free from my neighbor.

3 frogs, yellow lily (also free from neighbor!) sitting on the step.

Had green water but it is almost clear now

Overview to show growth and one of my dogs at her favorite drinking spot!

Bog- show growth and the same dog in one of her favorite sun bathing spots.

I believe a female Bullfrog

And this fellow was a few feet away

Lots of insects come around even hummingbird moths! I have pictures of them too...somewhere.

He was very interested in those flowers

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Still June 2015

A different angle

Some daylilies

Baby froggie with his tail! Actually I think it is a toad, you'll see why...

1st attempt at the DIY rock over the skimmer. The big rock with the log against it is actually our first DIY rock, it covers the pump vault. The rock over the skimmer was too white and too heavy.

Second attempt at the DIY fake rock over skimmer. Better, definitely lighter, we touched this one up for our final result. Turtle looks better darker too!

July 2015

TONS of baby toads everywhere around the pond! They seem to be the right size for the tail guy to be a toad.

Plants start taking a turn for the worse now, algae gets worse.

Kids love swimming in the pond

And catching tadpoles

Best overall shot I have for July, I spend more time around the pool this time of year. :cool:

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
August 2015
Not many photos here, like I said this is pool time.

Widest shot I have

A peaches and cream lily

Hummingbird moth

September 2015
No Pictures!

October 2015

Only pictures I have are because we did my cousins costumes for Halloween and took the pics by the pond. lol

Just a dress rehersal early in October

Costume Done

The twins!

A cool picture but you can see the pathway we are adding that goes from the house to the pond to the sheds.

Nothing for November or December

January 2015

Storm Jonas

Just a few days later

Had a flock of birds come by. There were 100s!

And that brings us up to date! I will add to this thread overtime. I have tons more pictures, especially of the build part. Let me know if you want to see anything in particular. I'm happy to answer any questions too. Thanks for looking at my pond from birth (May 15th 2014 we started) till now. I have videos too. If you want them let me know.

Last edited:

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks Nicole and Michelle! I forgot to subscribe to this thread so didn't know there were replies.

Here's some updated pics.
IMG_2648.JPG IMG_2685.JPG IMG_2672.JPG IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2660.JPG IMG_2671.JPG IMG_2650.JPG IMG_2673.JPG IMG_2675.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store