My Tanks: The Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Those aren’t central americans. It’s 32 us gal and convicts need like 20 gallons. if you. Get big wild swordtails they will eat convict fry anyway swordtails get bigger and are more active than convicts, ive seen a female 6” swordtails and a male like 7.5” with the sword
While most domestic strain male convicts don't get much larger than 4" anymore (with females smaller) due to massive inbreeding, a pair in a 20 gallon long is generally too small because there isn't any room for the female to avoid the male's aggression. I've done it, but it's not the best set-up in the world. As for the swords, even the larger wild swordtails are no match for a pair of convicts and any attempt by them to eat cichlid fry will result in the swords getting beat up and eventually killed. Large wild swords are too large for a 27 gallon tank, and wild swords are far too expensive to risk them getting killed by putting them in danger in a tank with a pair of convicts. That set-up will result in dead swordtails. A single female convict with a group of wild swords in at least a 40 breeder would probably work, especially if you don't mind never raising any swordtail fry.

Sprinkle Sprinkle Nice looking set up for the giant snail. Looking forward to this thread as it progresses!

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Convicts when spawning constantly will kill any fish in the tank. They are an aggressive fish, especially with fry. Their minimum tank size is 30 gallons and they grow to 6+”.
I haven't seen a 6" convict in years. I'd sincerely love to know where the folks you know that have are getting their stock. I haven't seen a con like that in probably 20 years. Everything I see these days isn't worth breeding for anything but feeders.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Thank you! :)

Sprinkle Sprinkle Nice looking set up for the giant snail. Looking forward to this thread as it progresses!
I actually had a pair of white convicts, and seriously man, male was 4.5” and female 3-3.5” and they still were growing. They were far too aggressive, so I gave them to better hands. Though they came with my 27 UK gallon tank and had nothing to do with them so they stayed with me, but it was a little while.

And I am unsure if my water is ideal for wild swordtails, and since it has been mentioned they get big and my tank is only 80cm long which is way better for captive bred swordtails and mollys. I could do wild platys, but again, my water is probably not ideal.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
*insert sarcastic comment about using soil for an aquarium*

sorry tho! It does suck...glad you caught it though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store