My tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Have you attached swords to wood for long or is it a new experiment? I think you're a better water column fertilizer than I am, mine sometimes get root tabs. But an interesting idea. I have a half grow amazon? sword that might be fun to try, maybe it will "bonsai" it? It's that or give it away soon.

As usual your tanks look great!
I actually don't use root tabs anymore. Not for any of my swords. Strictly liquid fertilizers.

Theres been some proof I guess that aquatic plants will take fertilizer from where it's available, the "root feeder" thing being somewhat of a myth. Tabs still help, sure because the plants will still use the nutrients from them, but they will also take from the water column just as well if that's whats available.

I didn't really believe it at first either, because it went against a lot of what I've read.
But, been trying it out for the last year and have to say I have personally seen evidence in my own swords grown just with liquid ferts.

This one especially looking good, this one's liquid ferts too.
20211112_001720.jpg

Reactions: dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks. I'm just better at tabs every 3 months than water column 1s much more often.

With the sword on wood thing I wonder if the roots will grow as crazy as they do in the substrate

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Thanks. I'm just better at tabs every 3 months than water column 1s much more often.

With the sword on wood thing I wonder if the roots will grow as crazy as they do in the substrate
Itll be interesting to see!

I've grown crypts on driftwood before, so it'll be fun seeing if the swords take

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I'll be interested too :) What crypts did you try attaching?
Becketti! They did well until I decided to change it up as usual lol

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I've seen the root tabs definitely make a difference. I don't use them very often so it is easier to see an impact when i do add them; then again as the tank ages (all of mine are over 2 years); there is more 'poop dirt' down there for the roots.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I've seen the root tabs definitely make a difference. I don't use them very often so it is easier to see an impact when i do add them; then again as the tank ages (all of mine are over 2 years); there is more 'poop dirt' down there for the roots.
They can, but also can do fine without. Plants will take nutrients from where it's offered. Swords are just nutrient monsters, so tabs tend to make it easier for people than those who can remember to dose liquid more often for what swords would use.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Huh, that's funny! C. becketti was among the very first plants we tried almost 40 years ago from a plant place advertised in the back of a fish magazine. I don't know that I've seen it much after that, not lately anyway, even among my fellow crypt addict plant clubbers. But they tend to want the latest coolest varieties...or maybe they don't share or remember the name, lol.

I may try a crypt that I have a lot of instead of the sword. About how long did you try it on wood? I'm remembering you tie plants rather than super glue, me too...or cram in a crevice :)

You are such a breath of fresh ideas Noodle!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Huh, that's funny! C. becketti was among the very first plants we tried almost 40 years ago from a plant place advertised in the back of a fish magazine. I don't know that I've seen it much after that, not lately anyway, even among my fellow crypt addict plant clubbers. But they tend to want the latest coolest varieties...or maybe they don't share or remember the name, lol.

I may try a crypt that I have a lot of instead of the sword. About how long did you try it on wood? I'm remembering you tie plants rather than super glue, me too...or cram in a crevice :)

You are such a breath of fresh ideas Noodle!
Haha I keep a couple crypt becketti actually, stay nice and compact compared to the lankier wendtii. Makes for a nice midground crypt.

Also a nice young becketti petchii pink, a fancier variety now of becketti
20210922_164344.jpg

I had the crypts wedged in a slot, started as tiny babies, grew them for about 8 months before I moved and planted them in a tank redo.

I've seen some people tie swords to wood, they were newbies and it wasn't the neatest job, but it made me wonder why not?

I mean, naturally plants in rivers get blasted out of the ground at times, drift away, get caught up in whatever debris, rocks, branches, etc they are swept into... they wouldn't just wait for someone to come along to plant them in order to live and grow. So while they may not attach themselves like anubias or buce, they would still manage to grow and adapt to where they're at.
To me it makes sense we can be a little more versatile if you have the means.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OK Noodle, I have a tiny criticism or 2. I hope you'll take it in a nice way :) that's how I mean it. C. becketti & C. petchii are separarte species unless they're now crossed...& they might be...How else do "they" create all those new varieties? Thousands of crypts, what do I know?

I'd also prefer your new fancy crypt was not so similarly colored to the nearby rock. I want my crypts to shine more than blend in ;). Of course it's a personal choice but think about moving it or the rock next time you need to rearrange. I like its red petioles in contrast to the leaves & it looks to have a nice pink color coming on too. Wait & see is my lazy motto, but you're a more "redo-ish" kind of scaper. Just suggestions, it's all good!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store