My very first aquarium set up.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JiddleFish

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
Thanks again everyone.
Yes, I will for sure add pictures once I get the fish in there. I have to say, its a gruelling process WAITING to add the fish. I just want to see the day arrive where I go with Omega to the aquarium stores to pick out my fish.

Kerry121774

AC Members
Mar 2, 2010
RI
you have a great tank, i like the fact that you jumped in with a 55! :) No beginer tank here!! Love it, my first was a 54 corner. Getting fish is ALWAYS exciting, it never gets boring.

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
The scape looks perfect for an Asian Biotope... heck, even the silk plants look like hygrophila and crypts :D

you have a great tank, i like the fact that you jumped in with a 55! :) No beginer tank here!! Love it, my first was a 54 corner. Getting fish is ALWAYS exciting, it never gets boring.
My first tank was a free 5' 120 gallon XD

taniner

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
Great first tank setup. Hope you soaked the driftwood prior to putting it into the tank... or a lot of tannin will leach out.

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
Thanks again everyone.
Yes, I will for sure add pictures once I get the fish in there. I have to say, its a gruelling process WAITING to add the fish. I just want to see the day arrive where I go with Omega to the aquarium stores to pick out my fish.
It will happen soon, my dear. Thanks to all the bio we added from other tanks, ammonia's already being converted to nitrite, and we're just waiting for a sign now the nitrite's being converted to nitrate. Once ammonia and nitrites are zero we'll do a huge water change to get rid of all that leftover nitrate and then we'll be ready to add all your fish at once!

Key here once this is all done is to keep up with your water changes. Discus apparently don't do nitrates very well. Maybe soon we'll talk about adding live plants to help with that.

I have to admit, I'm still a little annoyed that guy from the petstore keeps testing your water and telling you it's cycled now. If he's detecting nitrite still he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. He also sold you 'bacteria' in a bottle and blackwater additive, and told you to keep black mollies with discus in our ultra-soft tapwater. It's getting your hopes up then I feel bad when I have to be Downer Doreen and burst your bubble.

Last edited:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Omega the Fish Nazi...lol.
"No fish for you!!!"

Kristinann

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
I like the petsmart employee who tells two little girls next to me "yeah, you can keep about 4 guppies in that 5 gallon tank, just make sure you change around a fifth of the water every month."

Or, "yes, you can keep a goldfish in that. But every six months, change all the water and scrub the gravel really well to kill all the gunk."

Wonderful advice >:/

You guys are doing an awesome job on that tank, btw. Looks great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store