Need Advice! just relocated

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigJack

AC Members
Mar 23, 2017
Hi, I just relocated my 3 cichlids from a 40 gal to a 55 gal. I never had sand substrate before and its looking very good so far. I got 2 ghost shrimp and a peacock eel in there with the 3 cichlids...everyones living in harmony so far but I need advice on what all I need in the tank to make everyone happy. should I consider live plants? I have fake ones right now. should I get more "caves"? any suggestions? and also im not 100% sure what my 3rd cichlids is...im thinking its a rainbow cichlids but not 100% sure

BigJack

AC Members
Mar 23, 2017
Here's my 55 gal.... probably need a lot more plants but dont know if i should get live and fake or all live or all fake

FB_IMG_1489973171800.jpg

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Here's my 55 gal.... probably need a lot more plants but dont know if i should get live and fake or all live or all fake

View attachment 221151
the big dark one is a male Jack Dempsey cichlid (Rocia octofasciata) and will grow 10" and they can be very aggressive. The red fish is a Blood Parrot cichlid hybrid and will likely get beat up before it grows to full size which is debatable since the genetics of hybrids are rather thin. Finally the last fish is Salvin's cichlid (Trichromis salvini ) which will max out between 6-7" and they can be hit-or-miss on aggression. While the ones I have kept were rather docile, many other people experience them as being extremely nasty fish.

If I were you, I upgrade to at least a 75g tank and in the meantime load the tank up with as many caves and hide-spaces you possibly can. These fish will not live a happy life in a 55g . If you really want to do an exceptional cichlid community I say go for the 125g tank, and you will be able to add more fish than just these 3. If you only have room for a 4 foot tank, go with a 75g, 90g or 110g X-tall. They also make a 48" long tank in the 120g and 150g sizes, as well as a 5-foot 120g. which is only 18" wide.

Regardless, you are always better off with the longer 6 foot tank for cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store