Need guidance

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tsmckee

AC Members
Jun 7, 2003
Athens, TN
Visit site
Hello. I am a wanna-be aquarist. The only things I have purchased so far are eight books. I am a huge reader/researcher. Unfortunately, the books are only so helpful. I have set my sights on a 65 gallon acrylic tank (with stand and canopy). The tank is 48x18x20. I want to have as many fish as is reasonable (community) and live plants. With this in mind, what would be a good filter choice? (Based on what I have read, I like the external canister filter best.) Of course, money is somewhat of an issue, but I believe in spending more if it means a better product. Also, I would appreciate any other help with regards to lighting. Right now I'm trying to figure out what fish I want so I can set up the tank with specifics in mind. I've thought about creating a spreadsheet with the different categories of fish characteristics (temp, ph, etc.) that all the books list. I was going to list the fish that I find appealing from the pictures; then cross-reference those fish to find ones that would be compatible. Does this sound like a good idea? I really want to do this right, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Looks like you are doing fine on your own. One tip--decide if you want a planted aquarium, or if you want a tank of plants with a few fish. Then, spend some time browsing the planted forum--plants are not really given justice in the newbiw thread. Over there, you will find lots of great information, including lighting, substrate, nutrients, CO2 and ferts. All of which don't need to be worried about if you want a nice tank with a few plants.

Another thing--peruse your local fish stores. Really spend some time in front of the tanks, watching the fish. If they have display tanks (ie, not just 1-2 species with some plastic plants), really watch the fish. Some fish may not be photogenic, but have personality that is worth keeping. Others may be beautiful, but are very shy, so you may not ever see them (I am not kidding), or see them only after lights out.

Welcome aboard AC--we'll help out with any specific questions if we can!

tsmckee

AC Members
Jun 7, 2003
Athens, TN
Visit site
What is the difference between a planted aquarium and a tank of plants with a few fish? I want a lot of fish and enough live plants to be visually appealing as well as beneficial to those fish.

There are very few choices for local fish stores where I live. However, within fifty miles there are stores like PetsMart and Petco. How do those stores rate for buying fish?

Thank you so much for your help. I really like this website and I feel that I will gain a lot of knowledge.

Anaxus

This space for rent!
Mar 4, 2003
Louisiana
Visit site
A tank of plants with few fish means you can't tell you have fish :D (might be slight exageration on my part)
I have bought all my fish from petsmart with no problems. Of course each store is different.

tsmckee

AC Members
Jun 7, 2003
Athens, TN
Visit site
The reason I'm setting up a tank is so I can see and enjoy the fish. I want the plants to act as an accent.

When the time comes, I'll try PetSmart. Maybe I'll have good results too.

I am starting with a clean slate.....I'm probably a month away from even buying my tank. I would appreciate any help that would get me off to a good start. I want to do this right.

SpiritualSniper

God's Soldier
May 20, 2003
Fairfield, CA
Visit site
since you are a researcher and all, i'm sure you've read about this already, but just to make sure: do you know about the cycle new tanks go through? if so, do you know about the fishless cycle? this is a pretty important part of new setups....

btw, the way you're going about this is great, i wish i did it like that when i started....

tsmckee

AC Members
Jun 7, 2003
Athens, TN
Visit site
About fishless cycling...Yes, I've read about it but I'm getting most of my information from this forum. Fishless cycling makes sense to me. Before reading about it, I had planned to setup my tank and make sure it was stable well in advance of introducing fish....I just didn't know there was a term for that.

tsmckee

AC Members
Jun 7, 2003
Athens, TN
Visit site
Books...I ordered them from Amazon.com after reading reviewers comments....Understanding Tropical Fish, Tropical Freshwater Aquarium (Tankmaster) both by Gina Sandford, The Pratical Aquarium Fish Handbook by David Goodwin, Starting Your First Aquarium by Dr. Herbert Axelrod, Tropical Aquarium Fish by John Dawes, Setting Up a Freshwater Aquarium by Gregory Skomal, Tropical Fishkeeping by Steve Windsor, and Aquarium Atlas by Dr. Rudiger Riehl & Hans A. Baensch. I've had the books less than a week so they haven't been read cover to cover. Right now I'm flipping through them and highlighting important sections.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store