Need guidance

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
If you are going for a planted tank, stick with the canister filter, less surface agitation means less CO2 loss. Definately check out the plant forum, post any questions you have. It is worth the effort to find out what you need before you set it up.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
So aside from all of that business about the bacteria (who will find their way to an ammonia source but who do not live in the ammonia bottle), redundancy isn't a bad idea but Eheims enjoy a reputation for rock solid dependability and an HOB will drive off a certain amount of CO2. If you want a planted tank (as opposed to a tank with a few plants) CO2 and lighting will be issues -- lots of friendly help in the plant forum.

What's the difference? Just a matter of degree and of focus… You sound like someone willing to do the research and the work. I personally think fully planted is so incredible that its worth the extra effort and expense, but be prepared for both.

As far as stocking goes, here are two ideas you may find interesting…

You'll want fish that are compatible but you'll also want a fully involved tank -- think about where the fish will spend time and how they'll vie for your attention. I tried to get a few bottom dwellers, a few schools of small schoolers for activity and one pair of centerpiece fish. There's harmony as far as behavior but also in terms of appearance and general mix. A lot of beautiful fish may wind up looking like a jumbled up mess or like a natural community living in this particular slice of water that somehow wound up in your living room.

You might want to look into running a regional tank or even a biotope. Not for everyone, but fun for the research obsessed. I went regional -- I liked a lot of SE Asian fish and the water was similar to my tap so I went with that. You may find it interesting and it may help give you a better focus.

Either way or a different way you'll want to be careful with the wish list books. I did the same thing and got my heart set on some mighty obscure little fish. So sad :( . Availability and how far you'll drive for a couple of little fish are limiting factors. This directory may help narrow the search. It got me to all of my favorite fishstores here in NY.

You sound like you're off to a great start, good luck and enjoy, and welcome to AqC :D

Last edited:

tsmckee

AC Members
Jun 7, 2003
Athens, TN
Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone. I was beginning to think you guys forgot about me. My head was spinning with all the amonia talk. I'm new to this so most of the previous posts went over my head!

Carpguy...thanks for the great information and the links you included. But, what is a HOB?

Do those power filters that hang over the bank of the tank cause too much surface agitation (ie loss of CO2 for plants)? The reason I ask is I was thinking of one in addition to a Eheim canister (because several people mention having more than one filter) for extra filtering.

Does anyone have any opinions on undergravel jets? Since I am starting from scratch, I wondered if that might be a good addition to my tank.

I continue to appreciate everyone's help.

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
An HOB or Power filter unless modified will cause a lot of surface agitation. You definately don't want one with a bio-wheel on a planted tank, causes way to much CO2 loss. I have an eheim canister on my planted tank, I moved the spray bar down lower and turned it so the water was directed more in a downward motion. I have no surface agitation at all.

I tried the jets, but my powerhead wasn't powerfull enough to run it, several people seem to have them.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I don't agree that the HOB's (hang on back, by the way!) are too much--they just have to be setup right. I have an AC300 on my 40, and as long as the water level is kept up, I haven't noticed any change in my CO2 levels. Of course, unless you are seriously overstocking the tank, the HOB won't make much difference. It might provide better mechanical filtration, but with plants and almost any kind of power filter, you will have all the biological filtration you need to support a standard fish load.

I haven't used the jets, but my understanding is that they help keep the solid wastes in the water column, where the power filter can easily get them. They sound prety nifty, but I haven't heard anything that indicates they are better than a RUGF or carefully aimed powerheads.

Sorry we careened off course there...Sometimes the 'finer' points get out of hand! ;)

tsmckee

AC Members
Jun 7, 2003
Athens, TN
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. When I get back from Disney World (yeah....a vacation!!!), I'm going to purchase my tank. It's hard just talking about doing something and not actually getting to do it. I can't wait.

By the way, I'm planning on buying a Tenecor acrylic tank with the matching stand and canopy (65 gallon flat-back hexagon). Does anyone have any opinions on this brand of tank?

I tried to get a few bottom dwellers, a few schools of small schoolers for activity and one pair of centerpiece fish. There's harmony as far as behavior but also in terms of appearance and general mix.
My dad had a pair of discus many years ago and thinks I should get a mating pair. He said they were attached to my mother and would follow her as she walked across the room. I'm for that if I could have a few other fish as well. Can someone recommend compatible fish for discus?

Thanks again

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You'll want to make sure your tankis very stable before adding the discus--they can be picky if not acclimated properly, or exposed to shifting parameters.

The Cichlid forum should be able to help you out with tankmate selection.

Oh yeah--have fun on vacation! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store