Need Help!!! Silver dollar tankmates.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dean

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
Red Deer, Alberta
Visit site
Iam planning on purchasing a 90 gallon aquarium with 6 silver dollars. But need sum help picking out good tankmates for them, preferable for south/central america. Would they be ok with 6 cories? Iam thinking maybe two Festivums too. and a redtailed shark? Thanks

sumoschro

Gold Thunder
Aug 16, 2003
Portland, Oregon
yeah i dont know about the red tail....with the cories they might hassle them. if you are looking for just bottomfeeders go with the cories, and about 6 or 7 of them, because they like to school. If you arent necessarily looking for bottom feeders then you could get some buenos aires tetras, they would go nice with the silver dollars.

viboy

Born Sarcastic
Mar 15, 2002
BC, Canada
I have a red tail in my 90 with the silver dollars. There is never any problems between the red tail and the silver dollars. However, the silver dollars are about the only fish in the tank that are not terrorized by the red tail. He never actually does damage but definately chases everything else.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
silver dollars

are community fish so you won't have problems from them you can keep them with tetras or rainbow fish (i have mine with neon rainbows and they make a nice color contrast against each other)
anything peaceful i suppose

NickH

AC Members
Oct 12, 1998
Morris Township, NJ
A jurupari or another cichlid from the eartheater variety would do well in there. These are unaggressive, substrate sifting, slow-growing cichlids.

Yep, one of the above (they grow to about 10 inches, slowly), a medium-sized pleco of your choosing, and maybe a school of small tetras, etc. That would be my choice.

JazzyB

The Boys on the Move!
Sep 20, 2003
Canada
I like the idea of having a small school of tetras with the silver dollars; something to add some colour to the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store