Need some advice with my 90 Gal Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RClever82

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
Warren, PA
Real Name
Bud
Well my number one issue is out of no where after my conversion from fresh to brackish I am getting algae. I expected it with my pleco being out of the picture but not to the extent I'm getting. I can't use snails because of my 2 puffer unless I wanted to just flood my tank with them and hope the get it before they all ended up puffer chow. My other issues is I am trying to avoid live plants till I move to my new place. Moving the fish is going to be hard enough but I have no green thumb and tend to kill plants on a good day.

All of these where pulled and cleaned just a few days ago. Water specs are near perfect but I can't figure out what to do to stop the growth.
DSCN2116.JPGDSCN2118.JPGDSCN2119.JPGDSCN2120.JPGDSCN2126.JPG

My other issue is a kissing gourami I assumed got eaten when my tank was fresh water. My sister through him in with my Arowana about two weeks before I got rid of him. I didn't know he was even in the tank till I did a 50% water change and added my salt for the brackish conversion. He's fast so every time I try to get him he darts between my overflow and return and I eventually give up trying to catch him. He has doubled in size over the last months, he is highly active showing no signs of distress and eats well, he also munches a little on my algae. Should I push the issue of getting him out or leave him for now. I am a little on the higher end of brackish because eventually as my fish age I want to slowly do the full marine conversion but that won't happen for some time as my puffers and mono are still only in about 2-3 inches at best.

As you can see he appears quite happy for now. I'm not sure if I should leave him and take him out when it starts to bother him or get him out now.
I know it sounds awful and i don't know if i'm being just a little :screwy: but I am almost curious how long he can do good in the tank with the conversion happening so slowly over the next year or so.
DSCN2129.JPGDSCN2130.JPG

:feedback: Any suggestions on algae control or advice on what to do about the gourami would be hugely appreciated.

DSCN2115.JPG DSCN2116.JPG DSCN2118.JPG DSCN2119.JPG DSCN2120.JPG DSCN2126.JPG DSCN2129.JPG DSCN2130.JPG

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Whats your salinity, nitrates, and phosphates at? As far as the gourami from what I know they aren't suppose to be brackish at all so I would try to get him out of there.

RClever82

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
Warren, PA
Real Name
Bud
I need to get more testing supplies to do a phosphate but my salinity is about 1.016. My Nitrates are a bit on the higher end of ok at 30-40 ppm, closer to 30 which is up from last test a week ago which barely registered. I am going by dip tests and a hydrometer as i would love to go digital but for now its the best i can do.

I have read of people placing grow lights and mangroves in there sump to control nitrates and reduce algae growth. Has anyone tried this with any success, also how hardy are they because as I said before general rule is plants and I do not go well together. I have a tendancy to kill anything that needs much maintenance more than some fertilizer now and again.

RClever82

AC Members
Jan 20, 2013
Warren, PA
Real Name
Bud
Oh on a side note I was able to get the gourami!!!! I didn't want to just jump him into fresh water so I have him in a 10 gallon I filled with water from my 90 so I can slowly bring it back to fresh water and not shock him too badly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store