Need some help with an outdoor pond!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Sploke how much did your liner cost you?

And how much did it cost you?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I got the liner at Home Depot, probably overpriced, I think it was about $200, 12'x15' or so. The rest of it all, I'm not really sure, since Its kind of been built in phases. Pump was about 100 bucks, figure $150 or so for PVC and hose, and random fittings, UV filter was $75 or so, rocks and labor was free.

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Ok bad news. I might not get the above ground pool. I might have to dig it and buy a liner.
The problem is it will be right near my pool, and if the pool over flows, water will spill into my pond! :eek:

Is there anything I can do to prevent pool water from going into my pond incase rain rises the pool level? Like how could I make the pond, maybe 6" higher, then the pool? Thanks.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
When I built my pond, I built up a lot of the dirt I took out of the hole around the edges in order to make the sides higher than the ground around it. I guess it would depend on the slope of your yard, but you could possibly build up the edges then leave a small low spot on the side sloping away from the swimming pool, or at least on the far side. My pond has overflowed a few times, and I know exactly where the water drains out when it does.

AnDr3w

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Oh I see. So it's really not that hard of a problem to solve at all. I think I will raise the whole thing up around 4-6", just to be on the safe side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store