Neon tetras having trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oscar2315

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2016
Ok so I have a 10 gallon tank and the other day I made the mistake of putting too much aquatic salt in it. A bunch of my fish died but some of them survived. One of my neon tetras is all bloated and pale and his eyes are bulging. Another neons tail is a stump could that be fin rot? Please help. Now one of my fancy guppy is laying on the floor could this be an outbreak of neon tetras disease?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
It doesn't look like neon tetra disease to me. . .

Some questions:
1) How old is your tank and is it cycled?
2) What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
3) When was the last time you did a water change and what is your normal maintenance routine?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
So many unknowns.. How many fish are in this 10g? Do you do weekly water changes and how much water do you change?

Oscar2315

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2016
It doesn't look like neon tetra disease to me. . .

Some questions:
1) How old is your tank and is it cycled?
2) What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
3) When was the last time you did a water change and what is your normal maintenance routine?
I went to get my water tested and my ammonia level was super high at a 6.0, ph 7.8

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Yikes! That's bad... You should do a water change to bring it down, if you haven't already.

Are you new to keeping an aquarium? And is this tank newly set up? Is so, then you probably need to check out the threads on cycling a tank. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/freshwater-cycling.84598/

If you've had this tank running for more than 3-4 months, there are other things we will ask to get an idea of what's going on.
What is your normal maintenance routine?
What kind of filtration do you have?
How many fish do you have, and what kind do you have?
What are your water parameters? (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, hardness, etc - with a strong recommendation to get a liquid test kit.)
Are you the only one taking care of this tank?
Also, if this is an established tank, did you change out your filter media when you did the water change to remove the salt?

Sorry if it seems I'm being nosy, but as Freshy said, there are so many things to consider. We want to help, and the more details we have, the easier it is to figure out what's happening.

Reactions: Tifftastic

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Just a thought, I know this is probably a mix of illnesses, but the eye bulge may be popeye. His eye might fall out, or he might get better, or he'll just die. Good luck.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I went to get my water tested and my ammonia level was super high at a 6.0, ph 7.8
Do you know what the other levels were? Nitrite? Nitrate? You need to do some immediate water changes, as has been stated already.
The popeye that was mentioned could be possible, but its good to note that there are two things that cause that symptom. One is bacterial infection that leads to popeye and the other is a symptom of high nitrates.

I'm thinking here that we really need to know the answers to the other questions:
1) How long has the tank been set up?
2) What are in the tank and how many of each?
3) What is your maintenance schedule (How often do you change water? How much do you change? How often do you feed? How often do you clean your filter? etc)?

These things are really important to tell us if you need to treat for illness or just do water changes.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Yes, what Tiff said and is asking....

Also, why are you adding aquatic salt?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com