New 135 build sps dominated

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
perhaps an odd question but with this material being white, will you try to keep it white and will diatom build up on it? If so will clean up be easy? I know you mentioned that you will have a strong water circulation, will this keep the diatom from building up in odd areas?
That's a great question. I wish it stayed white, but no such luck. Initially, I expect it to reflect what's going on in the tank with brown or green algae. When the tank seasons, I hope it takes on the pink/purple coralline algae look. That's what happened in my other bb tank. Started out ugly, but turned purple after time.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
^she speaketh the truth. PM me if you need some Rudy, I'd love to come by and check out your tank build.

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
That's a great question. I wish it stayed white, but no such luck. Initially, I expect it to reflect what's going on in the tank with brown or green algae. When the tank seasons, I hope it takes on the pink/purple coralline algae look. That's what happened in my other bb tank. Started out ugly, but turned purple after time.
that would look pretty nice with a coraline bottom ( it already looks extremely nice, I mean it will look even more cool )

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
New Update

Thanks X. I had a small algae bloom initially, but it's back to white. My parameters as of two days ago are:
Am 0
Ni 0
Nitrate 0
Cal 500
Alk 11.7
Mag 1500
ph 8.0
Temp 77

Other updates:New corals have gone in. Mostly inexpensive frags. I'll wait until I'm sure I can keep them safely before I go for the higher end stuff. Oh yeah, I need to save up for the higher end stuff.

Here are some pics of the new corals. Other's didn't come out so I'll leave them for another update if they grow.

Now I finally get to sit back with a coffee and watch them grow...oh I forgot I'm in the middle of tearing out the bathroom. Maybe next week

Thanks for looking,
Tom Toro

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Tom: the new SPS tank looks great and your selection of coral you started with is going to add a lot of color. I will keep watching to see what you do next. Your tank builds are always spot on and you put lots of attention to detail. THanks for sharing.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
Tom: the new SPS tank looks great and your selection of coral you started with is going to add a lot of color. I will keep watching to see what you do next. Your tank builds are always spot on and you put lots of attention to detail. THanks for sharing.

I appreciate that very much. I also hope you're right about the color choices. I actually thought a few things out this time.

Best Regards,
Tom

xsdbs

AC Members
Oct 16, 2006
Tom, what a GREAT looking viewing room you have.you me so jealous, I showed my wife your room and she gave me "that" look and just said no ( even before I said anything ). much better than tv. can't wait to see more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store