New 35 gal hex-questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greeneyedlady

Duchess of Comedy
Jul 4, 2002
MD, USA
Well I finally talked my hubby into letting me get another tank. I will be getting it after the x-mas rush and things settle down so that I can devote time to a new tank. I was thinking about getting a 35 gal hex or maybe 55 gal (don't know if I can talk hubby into something that size since I have a 75-gal already). I have the perfect place for something that size and shape. Anyway I was wondering if anybody out there had a hex and what they thought of it or any suggestions that peoples might have that could help me in my search for the perfect tank and set up. Thank you to everyone in advance for your suggestions. It maybe a couple of days before I can read them as I work the next two nights and x-mas has kept me busy. But I do appreciate you all very much. :)

ROLLIN

fanta fanta, do you want a fanta?
Dec 4, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
I have one hex tank............. but its only 2 gallons. :)

With a 35 hex you could do a nice community setup or something similar. If I had one I would probably stock it with bronze and buenos aires tetras and some aeneus cories. :)

ROLLIN

fanta fanta, do you want a fanta?
Dec 4, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
Or....... another group of fish I like is black neon tetras with long fin leopard danios, a blue gourami and a synodontis lace catfish. I have this group myself. :)

Edit: I dont think I would put the gourami or the synodontis in a hex though unless it had alot of swimming space/bottom space.

Edit again: I guess the setup that I have like this isnt very good though with the clash in biotopes.

Last edited:

AsahiToro

Fish Nazi
May 28, 2002
Lutz, Fl
I'd say a pair of angels and a small school(6-9) of cardinals. Maybe add some marbled hatchets on top and a dwarf frog and a small pleco for the bottom.

greeneyedlady

Duchess of Comedy
Jul 4, 2002
MD, USA
Well, I have 4 silver dollars in a 15 right now and I was thinking of moving them into the 35. What I was wondering was if a hex tank is a good one or not I mean they are real pretty and all but how are they on maintenance and such.

Ozalie

AC Members
Aug 31, 2002
Minnesota
I have a 30g hex up and running right now,and there are pro's and con's(for me anyway!)
Pro's-fits nice in the corner and they are beatiful tanks.I like the way you can view your fish from many different angles.No big problem cleaning it,but if your short you might need a step stool!
Con's-not alot of swimming room for fish,unless they like to go up and down!Its also diffacult to decorate since your seeing it from many different angles and lighting it is harder because of the depth. I think its harder to maintain then my 125g but as I said its a very eye appealing aquarium!
By the way I have a 55g which isn't set up,why?The 30g hex is more interesting!

99RedSi

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I would *HIGHLY* recommend angelfish and cardinal tetras for a hex tank. Since hex tanks seem to be quite tall, angels will LOVE them! Angels prefer tall tanks to long tanks, if I remember correctly.

Any angelfish owners want to confirm this?

Huyzel

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
Toronto Canada
Visit site
yes, i've also heard that angels prefer tall tanks.
i'm no expert tho... just what i heard.
i do have 3 angels in my 30gal hex.
along with some tetras, mollies and plecos

fishlips

Quality Takes Time
Dec 22, 2001
Harwinton,CT
Very nice tanks. I picked up one for $45.00 and love it. The angles can be a little funky but its more interesting than my rectangular tank. I stood black stones on end with white sand and a few africans. The fish are small yet and can always swim in circles rather than squares. I would try to keep the fish on the small side to alow more swimming room. Good luck on your choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store