New 35 gal hex-questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
A couple things to keep in mind with hex tanks: they have less surface area by volume than rectangular tanks. This means you need to make sure you have good surface agitation fo rgas exchange. The many angles can result in dead spots--areas with little or no water movement--which can have deadly consequences. Take care when arranging decorations and power heads! Good water movement is key to maintaining oxygen at all levels and temperature stability. I lost fish in a hex tank when the power went out for 3 hours--all the bottom dwellers ran out of oxygen.

Keep in mind that these tanks are deep, so you don't want to put them up very high. I am tall, and it was a pain for me to clean the bottom/re-arrange things, and the top of mine was only about 48 inches from the floor. Plants tend to suffer in hex tanks for the same reason--it's hard to get light to penetrate through that much water.

I got rid of my hex and won't get another. While I think they look okay, I don't like the distortion of the angles, and it was a pain to take care. If I were given one for free, I would set it up with nothing but labyrinth fish and cories.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store