New 75 Gallon Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hauscobra

AC Members
Dec 19, 2020
I am starting up a 75 gallon aquarium. I plan on having a school of sterbai cory’s probably 6. I also have a clown loach currentky I want to put in the 75 gallon. Can I add 2 more clown loaches to have a total of 3? Aside from school of 6 corys and 3 clown loaches I want to add a school of Harlequin rasbora’s and some type of tetra as well. Then decide on a center pieces fish maybe a angel fish of some type. What are ur thoughts or recommendations. I am new to the hobby and looking for advice. Thanks

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Loaches aren't my area of "expertise", so to speak, but I know the basics and a 75 is going to be too small for one clown loach, let alone more. As Sprinkle said, they can regularly reach 12" or even more in an aquarium, and 10" is pretty much a given. They are also active fish and do better in groups. Unless you plan on acquiring a 6 foot tank sooner than later, I'd consider re-homing the loach.

With a 75 I'd seriously look at a larger school of cories, as "the more the merrier" philosophy definitely applies to cories, and you have a large footprint and plenty of volume. Six may get lost in the decor and plants and hardly be seen, and without the loaches you would have plenty of room on the tank floor for them to root around in.

I'm assuming the harlequin rasboras are a "must have" for the tank. Tetras I've kept successfully with angels and the rasboras include pristellas (x-ray tetras), head-and-taillight tetras, rummy-nose tetras, gold tetras, january tetras, dawn tetras, and glowlight tetras right off the top of my head, as well as cherry barbs. I know this list is not comprehensive; there are plenty of other species out there. In all cases, you'll want to be sure that the tetras are large enough or grown out enough that the adult centerpiece fish (assuming angels here) can't eat them. With angels, you'll want to avoid almost all barbs, a lot of tetras (serpae tetras come to mind immediately), and almost all danios. These fish are notorious fin nippers, and can tear an angelfish's fins ragged and keep the angel constantly stressed. I know people who have kept fish in the preceding list with angels, in large schools so that the barb/tetra/danio ignored the angels, but I also know just as many people who tried that strategy and failed. It's hit and miss and I'd just completely avoid barbs, danios and fin-nipping tetras to avoid heartache. If you decide on a different centerpiece fish, then the composition of your schooling fish may have to change to reflect the size and aggresssion of the new species.

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I love loaches, but WYite is right! Clowns need a group of at least 6 & will eventually outgrow a 75g in several years. So, instead think of a group of sidthimunki (dwarf chain loaches) OR striatas (zebra loaches) so you can have a nice group that fits your tank. Neither is large or aggressive, not as dramatically colored as clowns but wonderful in their own way...

He is also right to say if an angel is on your list, be careful of nippy schoolers...or small "angelfood" tetras. Harley rasboras are great as are red tailed rasboras (rasbora borapetensis). Instead of an angel have you looked at pearl gouramis? Then, except for the corys, you'd have a mostly Asian tank, just a thought...an angel OR a male & 2 female pearls would be lovely!

Will you have plants?

Hauscobra

AC Members
Dec 19, 2020
I love loaches, but WYite is right! Clowns need a group of at least 6 & will eventually outgrow a 75g in several years. So, instead think of a group of sidthimunki (dwarf chain loaches) OR striatas (zebra loaches) so you can have a nice group that fits your tank. Neither is large or aggressive, not as dramatically colored as clowns but wonderful in their own way...

He is also right to say if an angel is on your list, be careful of nippy schoolers...or small "angelfood" tetras. Harley rasboras are great as are red tailed rasboras (rasbora borapetensis). Instead of an angel have you looked at pearl gouramis? Then, except for the corys, you'd have a mostly Asian tank, just a thought...an angel OR a male & 2 female pearls would be lovely!

Will you have plants?
Would like to have some plants. Current 20 gallon I have some Java fern and amazon sword. Tried root tabs but the plants don’t look to hot. Little yellowish And brown.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sure, we can help with plants too. Most swords (almost all) grow too large for a 20g. So do most java ferns...but much more slowly. A 75g gives you many more options for plants & fish.

Lets start with what light do you plan for the 75g? Will you keep the 20g going? What fish are on your radar?

Hauscobra

AC Members
Dec 19, 2020
Sure, we can help with plants too. Most swords (almost all) grow too large for a 20g. So do most java ferns...but much more slowly. A 75g gives you many more options for plants & fish.

Lets start with what light do you plan for the 75g? Will you keep the 20g going? What fish are on your radar?
Honestly looking to go to the spot I get all my stuff from and talk to the guys that help me there in setting up the 75. So open to suggestions for lights, canopy, substrate ect... substrate I don’t want all sand Bc of the upkeep but also want a substrate that will be decent for the corys and clowns.

as of now I think I am going to keep the 20 gallon going.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, that's good! Either as a quarantine or grow out tank, a 20g is a great size...but a 75g is my favorite mid-size tank...& let's face it, a small QT eventually becomes a tank with permanant fish...

So for fish I don't think you've looked at (for the 75g) is denisonii barbs (roseline sharks). Larger but IME very mellow & stunning!! Check them out!

Hauscobra

AC Members
Dec 19, 2020
So the 75 is starting to get there. Hope to add some plants this weekend and see how water is to start adding some fish.CC587617-991A-4061-924D-1A2167A89767.jpeg2DB72671-85C1-40F1-8DA3-36116B9E65C7.jpeg

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store