New 75 Gallon Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I am starting up a 75 gallon aquarium. I plan on having a school of sterbai cory’s probably 6. I also have a clown loach currentky I want to put in the 75 gallon. Can I add 2 more clown loaches to have a total of 3? Aside from school of 6 corys and 3 clown loaches I want to add a school of Harlequin rasbora’s and some type of tetra as well. Then decide on a center pieces fish maybe a angel fish of some type. What are ur thoughts or recommendations. I am new to the hobby and looking for advice. Thanks
Clown loaches get pretty big. As adults they require about 30 gallons of water each. So if you are planning to upgrade to a 150 or so in a yr or 2 that would work. As juveniles 3 will work in the 75 but to long and you will stunt their growth.

I’m still looking into schooling fish myself so no advice there. I was always more of an ambush feeding fish guy.

Reactions: Sprinkle

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
A nice start. Easy plants include java ferns & anubias (several types of each). Both are attached to wood or rocks. Cryptocornes are my favorite genus, planted in the substrate with a root tab fertilizer nearby. There are hundreds! Different leaf shapes & colors, most are easy.

Have you looked at more loaches? Sids & striatas we discussed, but others might include kubotai or histrionicas. Pick 1 species & get at least 6 of the same kind, more is more fun!

Hauscobra

AC Members
Dec 19, 2020
So added the first fish to the tank. 5 Odessa barbs and 5 black ruby barbs. Today I notice water smells like eggs. I believe this is Bc I am having my first spike as the tank is starting the process since fish are in there now?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Did you cycle the tank first?

What water conditioner are you using?

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Looks nice!

That's a great looking tank stand too.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Used prime when water was added. Tank and filter set up last Sunday and fish added yesterday (following Saturday)
Oh boy.. You're going to have some work ahead of you here. So you've got 10 barbs? Don't add anything else. What you've got in there is too much for an un-cycled tank. Leaving things as-is is and doing nothing is going to result in your fish dying from ammonia poisoning. You're going to need to do daily water changes. I encourage you to read up on tank cycling and not listen to the guys that are selling you fish and hardware.

You might be able to make it work, but it's going to take lots of water changes. Thankfully you've got seachem prime on hand. That's a good product where a little goes a long way, plus it will temporarily detoxify ammonia.

Do you know anyone with a healthy, established tank that you could grab some filtration media or gravel from? That will get your nitrogen cycle off and running.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Oh boy.. You're going to have some work ahead of you here. So you've got 10 barbs? Don't add anything else. What you've got in there is too much for an un-cycled tank. Leaving things as-is is and doing nothing is going to result in your fish dying from ammonia poisoning. You're going to need to do daily water changes. I encourage you to read up on tank cycling and not listen to the guys that are selling you fish and hardware.

You might be able to make it work, but it's going to take lots of water changes. Thankfully you've got seachem prime on hand. That's a good product where a little goes a long way, plus it will temporarily detoxify ammonia.

Do you know anyone with a healthy, established tank that you could grab some filtration media or gravel from? That will get your nitrogen cycle off and running.
+2

Hauscobra

AC Members
Dec 19, 2020

tested ammonia nitrite and nitrate with API kit and following results

ammonia closer to 0 than .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20

added capful (50 gallons) of prime to be safe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store