New Discus Egg Pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

anubis63

AC Members
Apr 11, 2015
Sacramento, CA USA
Real Name
Robert Mortenson
Hi all, I'm posting some pics of my Discus who have spawned and I have asked quite a few questions about this and I apologize if that's been a problem but hopefully you will see something in these pics that you might be able to help me with as to whether or not these have been fertilized. The ones I posted a few months back where clear but these are a brownish color I am also posting one that two are still guarding but the eggs had been out of water during a water change and I don't know if they can survive that if they are fertilized. Please all you experts on breeding Discus, let me know some stuff. Thanks. P1020101.JPG P1020108.JPG P1020106.JPG P1020118.JPG

Reactions: Wild West

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, those are fertile! Tan is the magic color! So what's your plan now? I'm not experienced in discus breeding but you should probably remove any white ones if you can. Will you leave the parents with the eggs? That's what I'd likely do at least for a few weeks. I'd love to see the fry feed off the parent slime coat but I know it can be hard on the adults after a while... & then what will you feed the fry?

What strains do you have as the parents?

anubis63

AC Members
Apr 11, 2015
Sacramento, CA USA
Real Name
Robert Mortenson
Oh, those are fertile! Tan is the magic color! So what's your plan now? I'm not experienced in discus breeding but you should probably remove any white ones if you can. Will you leave the parents with the eggs? That's what I'd likely do at least for a few weeks. I'd love to see the fry feed off the parent slime coat but I know it can be hard on the adults after a while... & then what will you feed the fry?

What strains do you have as the parents?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the post. I really would love to breed Discus but I don't have the room or money to invest in the proper equipment not to mention that they spawn in the tank with all of the other Discus so my plan is to sell these two as a mating pair after I get my 150 gal. set up but I don't quite know what to charge for them. The parents are a female Blue Diamond and the Male is a King Cobra the exact one you see as my avatar. The one pic. you see with the Golden Dragon in it and unfertilized eggs was the first to spawn along with another Golden Dragon but they never did get fertilized. Anyway I'm not sure what kind of Discus the Blue and Cobra will produce it could be interesting. Please let me know if you have an idea of what I might be able to sell these for. Have a great one.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
What you might get for that pair may well depend on whether a potential buyer fancies what a BD/Cobra cross might produce, assuming they turn out to be a true proven mated pair.
But if they were mine, I'd probably ask $300. for the pair once they've proven to produce wrigglers.

anubis63

AC Members
Apr 11, 2015
Sacramento, CA USA
Real Name
Robert Mortenson
What you might get for that pair may well depend on whether a potential buyer fancies what a BD/Cobra cross might produce, assuming they turn out to be a true proven mated pair.
But if they were mine, I'd probably ask $300. for the pair once they've proven to produce wrigglers.
Thanks so much Paul, I know I've bothered you allot about spawning and you have mentioned a couple of times needing to see "Wrigglers" but as I stated above I'm not set up to isolate them and let the eggs get that far so they end up getting eaten within about 3 days. Anyway thanks again you've been a great help. :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think Paul is being very optimistic as for price you might expect for "mated" rather than proven breeders of compatible strains...but he has much more experience than I do!

AFAIR (& I may be wrong) those 2 discus seem to be in the same "lines" & can produce "pretty babies", not like some strains. Still, it's what your market will bear as far as price goes... Good luck!!

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
Some of my inexperienced SA cichlids ate the first few batches too, but ended up being excellent parents after a few tries and adjusting the tank. I cannot help but wonder if that power head is washing away silt (fertilization) from the male resulting in some eggs are not getting fertilized, and the parents over reacting from the unfertilized eggs and end up eating the whole batch instead of of just mouthing/washing the good eggs and removing the white ones?. Spend some time or money and change the filtration and add some enticing egg laying spots to entice them to a more attractive place away from the power head or other currents and see if that makes them successful parents.

In my experience letting the parents care for the eggs atleast until the tails sprout or preferably til they are swimming is more successful and much easier than than hatching the eggs in a separate tank.

I also agree that a breeding pair vs a proven breeding pair is different, in my mind anyway. Just make that clear when you sell them that have ate the eggs so far:)

Reactions: anubis63

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
To fishorama:
Seems like you misread the last sentence in my post above.
I mentioned asking $300. once the pair was a 'proven' mated pair, i.e. had produced wrigglers. That's not a very optimistic price these days.
But if the pair was not 'proven' ( i.e. had spawned, but not yet produced live young), then that price would indeed be too high - $200. would then likely be a fair 'asking' price for the mated, but unproven, pair.
Approx. $300. is generally a normal asking price for a 'proven' pair of a discus strain or strains that people would consider to be more or less desirable breeders.
And it's simply an 'asking' price, always subject of course, to negotiation.
Hope this explains satisfactorily.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I'm confused, I've never bred discus but with them being in the cichlid family I don't see why you want to separate the eggs from the parents. I would think if they were good parents they would be able to protect the eggs from the other fish in the tank. Wouldn't the amount of parental care make them more desirable as a breeding pair? Especially with the amount of parental care that discus have, like the feeding of fry and stuff, I would think that someone would want a pair that was proven to take good care of their fry all the way through. But again, I've never bred discus so I don't really know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store