New member with a 10G.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
Oh my so many choices

the general rule is to find one fish as a centerpiece and fit the rest around that one
you could go for a whole lot of little ones

Just start off slow and Level up as you go (yes I used a gaming reference)

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
also for plants, id either post a WTB add on here or on the planted tank forum. ive gotten alot of plants for pretty darn cheap.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
Wow, so many people in this thread are giving out false information!! What a shame...

I understand that every one has a problem about plecos, but personally, i've never seen one over 4 inches. That one was bought at 2" and we kept it for about 8 months..
Pardon me if someone has already stated what I'm about to, but if your common brown pleco never grew much larger than two inches and only lived eight months with you, it's because you were keeping it in unsuitable living conditions (too small a volume of water, polluted water, etc.). Stunting the growth of an animal will cause it to live a shorter life span from poor growth development.

Corydoras habrosus, pygmaeus and hastatus are not for beginning aquarists. Just because they stay small doesn't mean they are immensely easy. Habrosus are the most sensitive of the three in my experience. Dwarf shrimp are also not for beginners. To the op jacob9799, research aquarium fish and their care requirements through aquarium fish keeping quides written by accredited aquarists, if you haven't already. Most of the information in many of those guides is consistent and factual [and not up for debate, as is the case on this and other forums].

Fishbase.org is a great site to research fish with. The only key with this site is that it's best if you can attain the latin names of fish, as fishbase may not recognize certain common names.

Dwarf puffers are not brackish whatsoever. Not all danios are coldwater, and some are subtropical, meaning they can be happy in temps ranging from the mid 60's to the mid 70's.

Ghost shrimp don't eat fecal matter. Don't count on them to clean up after your fish. You'll be lucky if you get ghost shrimp that are freshwater and not brackish. There are several species of shrimp that are commonly called ghost shrimp which are clear and transparent in appearance, but grow to different sizes and require different water specifications. They're usually mixed up together and different wholesalers sell different species, so you're never quite sure what you're getting.

Not all tetras are easy, not all are difficult. Neon tetras can be on the fragile side, mainly because of the bad stock coming from certain hatcheries, or if they're wild caught. They are south american and come from soft and acidic conditions, so if you happen to buy wild caught, your water from the tap may not be ideal for them. You can ask whatever store you buy your fish from which are captive raised and which are wild caught.

Lastly, I doubt you will be able to sell any fry to petco and petsmart, unless you've already worked up a preemptive deal with a manager at either store. Chain pet stores usually consider incoming animals (including fish) from the public as relinquished pets and turn around to adopt them to customers.

Last edited:

nahrie

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Canby, OR
Real Name
Julie
Wow, so many people in this thread are giving out false information!! What a shame...

Pardon me if someone has already stated what I'm about to, but if your common brown pleco never grew much larger than two inches and only lived eight months with you, it's because you were keeping it in unsuitable living conditions (too small a volume of water, polluted water, etc.). Stunting the growth of an animal will cause it to live a shorter life span from poor growth development.

Corydoras habrosus, pygmaeus and hastatus are not for beginning aquarists. Just because they stay small doesn't mean they are immensely easy. Habrosus are the most sensitive of the three in my experience. Dwarf shrimp are also not for beginners. To the op jacob9799, research aquarium fish and their care requirements through aquarium fish keeping quides written by accredited aquarists, if you haven't already. Most of the information in many of those guides is consistent and factual [and not up for debate, as is the case on this and other forums].

Fishbase.org is a great site to research fish with. The only key with this site is that it's best if you can attain the latin names of fish, as fishbase may not recognize certain common names.

Dwarf puffers are not brackish whatsoever. Not all danios are coldwater, and some are subtropical, meaning they can be happy in temps ranging from the mid 60's to the mid 70's.

Ghost shrimp don't eat fecal matter. Don't count on them to clean up after your fish. You'll be lucky if you get ghost shrimp that are freshwater and not brackish. There are several species of shrimp that are commonly called ghost shrimp which are clear and transparent in appearance, but grow to different sizes and require different water specifications. They're usually mixed up together and different wholesalers sell different species, so you're never quite sure what you're getting.

Not all tetras are easy, not all are difficult. Neon tetras can be on the fragile side, mainly because of the bad stock coming from certain hatcheries, or if they're wild caught. They are south american and come from soft and acidic conditions, so if you happen to buy wild caught, your water from the tap may not be ideal for them. You can ask whatever store you buy your fish from which are captive raised and which are wild caught.

Lastly, I doubt you will be able to sell any fry to petco and petsmart, unless you've already worked up a preemptive deal with a manager at either store. Chain pet stores usually consider incoming animals (including fish) from the public as relinquished pets and turn around to adopt them to customers.
I agree with everything you just said. Especially about Petco not buying normally, as I used to work there.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Well said saram!

no.

but hypothetically, the second kit only costed $10, because shipping is $7. so really, i saved a decent bit of money on every product. love for petmountain!
The second test kit is likely going to expire around the same time as the first so might as well turn around and sell it unless you somehow get a defective one...

jacob9799

AC Members
Oct 30, 2011
also for plants, id either post a WTB add on here or on the planted tank forum. ive gotten alot of plants for pretty darn cheap.
WTB? Another thing to learn. What does that stand for?

ANd right now, i know for sure i want java moss, but thats all i have decided

jacob9799

AC Members
Oct 30, 2011

Im gonna passs the buck and say that my dad did most of the caretaking when i had the pleco. But i agree, we didnt know then what we know now.

Where in the world did you get dwarf puffers? haha. I cant recall of talking about them-not saying it hasnt happened, but i dont think I have.

Thank you for your input. I appreiciate it very much.

BUT, where are you coming from? WHere have you gotten your info/experience? Youve made sense, and im not trying to disprove you. As far as my experience, I have never had the issues you describe. But then again, im sure i havent been into it as long as you have...

as far as chain pet stores, im sure i can find some one to buy. haha

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
You didn't mention dwarf puffers, another member did. I was correcting false information, whether it came from you or someone else. The last thing you want is to start back out in the hobby with misinformation.

Although much of what I've learned about this hobby has come from books and magazine articles, a great portion of my knowledge has come from experienced forum members on here. You will learn in time which individuals are trusted and knowledgeable after following advanced, inventive projects they document on this site, noting consistencies when comparing their advice to well reputed publications, and by simply implementing their suggestions and seeing that they work.

As for selling fish to a pet store, you may be able to find a place that is willing, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, and that's all I meant before.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store