New member with a 10G.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
You need to get a better heater that can heat the tank at the right temp all of the time. I think you could do this on a 10 gallon
1-dwarf gourami
8-neon tetras or 10-green neon tetras
20 or so ghost shrimp

jacob9799

AC Members
Oct 30, 2011
I'm sorry if you took offense to my liking of petluvr post, I was just trying to give them credit for asking about such a vital part of fish keeping. It wasn't meant as a personal offense, I am sorry about the septic tank issue. Again, I was not trying to make you mad.
I understand where you are coming from, and I am sorry that I showed my butt... as you could imagine, any septic problem, not matter how minor(which i think ours is) is very stressful! I was wrong! Thats the problem with words in print. You lose so many levels of communication, and it becomes hard to get the original points. Like i have unlimited texting, but im gonna have it taken off, because with a text, you can read into things that the sender never even thought of.

I am sorry for my rudeness. I really DO appreciate your advice.

I am one of those people that if I cant see a reason or method, I dont get it... Im very practical and analytical...(my dad is an accountant...wonder where i got it from.. :p)... and being a Red Head..... well. WE DO HAVE SOULS.... but we can have tempers too ;)

jacob9799

AC Members
Oct 30, 2011
You need to get a better heater that can heat the tank at the right temp all of the time. I think you could do this on a 10 gallon
1-dwarf gourami
8-neon tetras or 10-green neon tetras
20 or so ghost shrimp
a BETTER heater....... how bout a heater :p.. I waited to get one, because i dont want it to heat it good at night, but boil the fish by day.... any ideas on what i should get?

and why a single gourami? seems like it would be lonely,imo. but yet again, expert i am not!

and that many ghost shrimp? wow! Im okay with it... they arent expensive, but i didnt realize id use THAT many!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Well the heater would only heat until it reached the temp you set I at. Dwarf gouramis are like bettas most of the time they will fight with other dwarf gouramis. Ghost shrimp barely have a bioload so you could keep 100. Maybe look into RCS since they'll breed in freshwater and are prettier

jacob9799

AC Members
Oct 30, 2011
okay! i havent really looked into how they work yet.

and i didnt know about DGs fighting... i hate that, because they are beautiful fish! looks like guppies!

and rcs... i saw a thread on them yesterday, and liked them, but couldnt find what RCS stands for. haha!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Just an FYI Re: O2/gas exchange in aquaria.

O2 exchange occurs when air (which includes O2 and CO2) is exposed to the surface/area of the water in our aquariums.

Most of this occurs at the surface of the tank. circulation of the water(aka aggitation) exposes water that is low in the gasses in air to allow gas exchange to occur..
let us not forget.. that even tho small.. bubble rising in the tank from air lines and bubbler stones also create this surface area for gas exchange to occur.
remember the air pump is pumping the same air that is exposed to the surface of the tank.

jacob9799

AC Members
Oct 30, 2011
Just an FYI Re: O2/gas exchange in aquaria.

O2 exchange occurs when air (which includes O2 and CO2) is exposed to the surface/area of the water in our aquariums.

Most of this occurs at the surface of the tank. circulation of the water(aka aggitation) exposes water that is low in the gasses in air to allow gas exchange to occur..
let us not forget.. that even tho small.. bubble rising in the tank from air lines and bubbler stones also create this surface area for gas exchange to occur.
remember the air pump is pumping the same air that is exposed to the surface of the tank.
Okay, I understand and agree with your input. And I mean absolutely no offense, but what are you suggesting? I have been considering an air pump, but ive been told that once planted, my tank should be fine without a pump. Remember, i am just a humble beginner! Thanks for your input!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Most heaters on the market today (well any decent one) will say on the box if it will cut out at a specific temp. Some of them even allow you to set that temp to what you want it to be. But most are set to 76-78 from what I have seen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store