New member with a 10G.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Ten gallons is real small, so you have to be careful of what fish you get. Most tropical fish need warm water, so you'll need a reliable heater. You set it at the temp you want and a good heater will go no higher. Why does it get so hot during the day in your house? But so cold at night? Be sure you don't put your tank in direct sunlight or you'll get lots of algae. And you'll need a filter with a pump to clean up waste; shrimp and plants will not keep your tank clean. I don't know where you read that tanks will not need pumps if it's planted, but take that advice with a huge grain of salt and toss it right over your shoulder. :) And I read at the beginning you added salt? Not sure why? But some fish are sensitive to salt so look into that first. Now, to research basic fish and their ultimate size and requirements, I like to use this site for info:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=830

And this thread will explain how to cycle, you will get step-by-step directions. Cycling is important if you want your fish to be healthy, which of course you will. :)

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?84598-Freshwater-cycling

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
You have filterless tanks? I wouldn't advise a newbie to run a tank with no filter. He should at least use a sponge filter, although I don't know if any are available where he lives. I've had fish for 40 years, and depending on the type of fish, they will do better with a filter, especially if the tank is heavily stocked which it sounds like his will be. And using liveaquaria is better than whatever the OP is using, that is for sure. At least it will tell him how large plecos can get. ;)

Last edited:

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Oh okay, sorry, I meant filter with a motor, as opposed to throwing in an airstone. :)

I like seriouslyfish, but I don't like that they don't use American measurements. I need gallon measurements, not liters. I'm blonde. LOL

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Oh okay, sorry, I meant filter with a motor, as opposed to throwing in an airstone. :)

I like seriouslyfish, but I don't like that they don't use American measurements. I need gallon measurements, not liters. I'm blonde. LOL
oh ok :) and yea i hate that but there's a calculator on here i think. dont worry we all have a little blonde in us.

jacob9799

AC Members
Oct 30, 2011
Ten gallons is real small, so you have to be careful of what fish you get. Most tropical fish need warm water, so you'll need a reliable heater. You set it at the temp you want and a good heater will go no higher. Why does it get so hot during the day in your house? But so cold at night? Be sure you don't put your tank in direct sunlight or you'll get lots of algae.

I live in a nicer trailer, and my room is on the south end of the house. it receives the whole day's sunlight... then at night, the air gets set to where its kinda chilly when i wake up. No idea why mom does that, butits not by choice. I think a heater would fix it.

also, it is horizontal next to a vent, but about five feet above it. I have kept an eye on it, and the vent doesnt really change anything.

jacob9799

AC Members
Oct 30, 2011
And using liveaquaria is better than whatever the OP is using, that is for sure. At least it will tell him how large plecos can get. ;)

hey hey heyyyyy. :p i was using petco and petsmart. they have the right info... it was a OE.....operator error :p

jacob9799

AC Members
Oct 30, 2011
i know its off topic, but since im in marching band, im considered an athelete by the state... which i understand fine whatev, no prblem.... but i was picked for random drug testing just a while ago........ that is a demeaning process. lol soooo awkward for you and ESPECIALLY the collector..... thats a pissy job ;P

just remember...no matter how bad your day is.....

You could be a urine sample collector..... HAHA

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
i know its off topic, but since im in marching band, im considered an athelete by the state... which i understand fine whatev, no prblem.... but i was picked for random drug testing just a while ago........ that is a demeaning process. lol soooo awkward for you and ESPECIALLY the collector..... thats a pissy job ;P

just remember...no matter how bad your day is.....

You could be a urine sample collector..... HAHA
Haha nice play on words :p And that would be a crappy job, no matter what gender/who you are. Lol

But back on topic, you should post a pic of your tank! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store