New Mudskipper Vivarium!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TetrisAttack

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Hey everyone, so I just started up my first vivarium (aquarium/terrarium) with a couple vietnamese mudskippers (freshwater raised). I set them up in a little 16x8x10tall(inches) tank with a heater underneath the water side (and two basking rocks) as well as a full-spectrum plant light. I was also given a couple underwater plants and tiny lilypads.

My first mistake was not having a filter and putting guppies in with the spaghum moss island. Now I have the smallest underwater filter I could buy, which the skippers seem to love to sunbath on and beside... (I hope to make it more discreet in the future)...

As I said, at first I had put in an island of spaghum moss that sucked up 1/2 the water and also (I think) caused an unbalance in the water that killed the guppies :(. I learned that you should have the moss on rocks OUT of the water, and readjusted the tank (and got that filter just to be safe).

So I was thinking of getting some feeder (gold)fish to help mix up the water or something (their poop adds nitrates?) (a friend recommended)...

Any pointers/advice? These mudskippers lived friendly with minnows before (and ate crickets)... so I hope to have them living with guppies and eating crickets (and maybe baby guppies if I can get them breeding)... have one small male and two large females (maybe only gonna put the females in)... or else maybe I'll just breed them seperately, I dunno yet... I'm new at this so any feedback appreciated.

TetrisAttack

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks for those links... I have done exhaustive research on mudskippers, and tried to comb through all the contradicting stuff to something that'll work for them (mostly talking with the staff that took care of them for the past 2.5 months)... They're pretty happy and eating 1-2 crickets a day, just got a water-testing kit too... I also have a 55 gallon (cube pirhana) tank for them when I can get it setup and them happy with the water...

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
PICS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Mokomon

Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
Oh, and I've never read anything about ANY Skippers doing well in FW :(

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
TetrisAttack, you have got to go look at Mokomon's mudskippers on this thread that I am including in this post. She is the mudskipper queen. If you need advice or help... she would be the "go to" person. Her tank is awesome, and her skippers are just incredible.
Check it out:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182809

Mokomon

Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
Your check is in the mail Melody.
Watch for it

:D

Thanks hon!

TetrisAttack

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009

TetrisAttack

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
okay... I couldn't get my camera to connect to the computer, but here's a sketch of my setup... About an hour after reading Mokomon's response, I added aquarium salt (a small amount) and my skippers are spending twice as much time in the water now (and beautifully displaying their fins)

I have also done 7-10 more hours research on skippers, and finally found the kid in the petstore who knew how to take care of them...

any other advice appreciated? What do people think about feeding them guppy fry? How many crickets a day should they be eating (currently it's about 1-2, though I have never seen them eat)

TetrisAttack

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
oh, and I decided it might be a bit too crowded with adult guppies and skippers both... so they are in seperate tanks

I've also learned that this isn't a VIVARIUM, its a PALUDARIUM!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store